Tuesday, April 6, 2010

NST #8

Yes, these rack up pretty quickly. Can't believe I've already had 8 of these! Fortunately, results have all been good, so cannot complain. Not to mention that it really is nice to be able to get outside for at least a few minutes every day.

Turns out Tuesdays are the opposite of Mondays. EVERYONE is back in clinic and all the diabetic patients get their NSTs on Tuesdays. Consequently, I did end up having to wait about half an hour this morning. Fortunately, I'm not overly shy and there were a couple of other mommies in the waiting room.

The first lady to walk in after me was quite pregnant, but she kept looking at me so I decided to stop checking to see if she was looking at me and looked at her instead and started our conversation. She was very nice. At first, I was a bit jealous when she told me that she is 36 weeks along. However, when we got into why we were there, my heart just broke - she lost her last baby at 36 weeks. Just went in for a routine visit and... She's been having a lot of contractions lately, hoping not to go into labor just yet. I hope she can hold out at least another week. (37 weeks is considered term.) Just so hope that everything turns out perfectly for her this time around. Can't even begin to imagine what she went through the last time.

We also found out that we each have a 3-year-old daughter in the full-blown tantrums stage. Such fun! She is also not a fan of c-sections, although she hasn't had one. (I told her I highly do not recommend them if you don't need one!) Recovery is just not fun and you don't get to hold your baby right away in many cases.

Honestly do hope that I get to run into her again in a few more days. Both she and the other woman in the room come in twice a week. (Okay, it was kind of fun when they asked if I come in on Tuesdays and Fridays to say, "Yes. And Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays!")

We didn't get to talk as long with the other lady as she came in about 10-15 minutes after we had started chatting and we were both called back shortly after. I did find out, though that she is there for GD. She has a 21-year-old daughter and, yes, this was a bit of a surprise. She assured us she is DONE!

Ironically, all 3 of us are carrying boys. Tis the season, huh?

My nurse today was Donna. Amazing. I was thoroughly impressed with how organized and on top of things she was. She never appeared flustered, but from the conversations I overheard between her and the other medical personnel, I know she was running the show and today every bed was full!

Blood pressure was 100/77 today. Not too shabby! Always nice if it's low from the start. Again, our little man didn't like to get thumbed with the monitor, but she did finally catch him and he did stay on for the duration. She was also able to get the contraction monitor on.

Nothing too exciting. At one point, however, she did pop in with a little device in her hands. She told me my little guy was sleeping - he sure wasn't asleep in the waiting room! - and she needed to wake him up. Dr. M has been telling me about this thing for a while. I think he enjoys giving the little guys a jolt. Not sure what the name of the device is, but it directs a little vibration into the uterus to stimulate the baby because, when you're on the monitor, they want to be able to see that baby's heart rate will recover when it drops, etc., not just the flat, consistent line of a sleeping baby.

One funny thing to note was that, when she took me back, Donna said, "So you're 35 weeks..." Huh? "No, I'm 27." "You're not 35 weeks?" "Believe me, I would LOVE to be 35 weeks right now!" "I thought you looked really tiny for 35 weeks." Guess someone had written something down wrong, so she got it corrected. Wish my wit was a little quicker sometimes. Just tonight I was thinking, wish I had said, "Yep 35, give or take 8 weeks." Oh, well.

Still a very positive NST. Back home and enjoying watching my kids run around playing tiger with each other, running up and down the hall, reading books, watching movies... I love the sweet little things they say. Can't imagine not getting to hear their sweet little voices every day! Just love my little ones!

No comments: