Sunday, April 4, 2010

NST #6 - and 27 weeks today!

Hooray!!! We have officially hit the 27 week mark. Seems like I've been counting 27 weeks for forever now!

Today's NST was, fortunately, another uneventful experience. I was the only one there again. Baby didn't enjoy getting hooked up so that took us a little while and a little finagling to get him on the monitor. But we did and he actually stayed on the entire time. Any decels bounced right back into the normal range right away. No flipping needed. We didn't get the contraction monitor on, as the fetal heart rate monitor was, shall we say in a delicate way? But I haven't felt a single one all day. Blood pressure was quite possibly my best ever - 103/66. I know!!! Go me! I think that was, in part, due to a serious decrease in the bleeding this morning and not feeling a single contraction prior to going in. Also, just having it be Easter and getting to listen to General Conference to take my mind off things.

In the short 3-5 minutes while I was waiting to be admitted, I was sitting in the waiting room with an older gentleman with "World War II Veteran" on his cap. I asked if he was waiting for a baby and he laughed, "Oh, no, I'm too old for that." I just meant a baby in general, not his! Apparently he was there with a buddy of his who didn't want to come to the hospital by himself because of why his daughter was there. (I won't go into details because I'm a little hazy on them and it's not my story to tell.) We just got to chatting and he told me that he was a pilot in Guadalcanal. Also served in both Korea and Vietnam and was shot down 3 times. He said that he hated training new pilots. They would always ask, "What are my chances of surviving this?" And he would tell them, "We won't know until you come back."

I told him why I was there and he said, "You're going to be fine." So nice. I love every positive response!

My nurse today was Marion. She was so nice. We dispensed with the height/weight measurements. Seriously, can they have honestly changed that much in 48 hours? (I guess weight could, but not without some serious bleeding or "other" happening.) And my height hasn't changed since 8th grade so....

When I was almost finished, I overheard the front desk nurse tell her that another woman was on her way in - "same issue". I was hoping I was wrong, but just had to ask and Marion confirmed another mom was coming in with pPROM. I told her that I hoped she is farther along than I am. I know the nurse struggled with patient confidentiality, but since I wasn't going to see the lady and she didn't give me a name or anything, she did tell me that the lady is a little bit ahead of me, but not much. But she's carrying twins. I told the nurse that my heart goes out to her and she responded that she doesn't know how anyone does this. Believe me, it's not the route I would have chosen. Hope the other pPROM mom's NST went as well!

Happy Easter to everyone! I know God is watching over us. There were so many talks today about parenting and trials. I think this one could very well be to help me be a better mom! Not for one minute will I ever take my kids for granted. The opportunity to bear children has been such an incredible blessing in my life. I have felt and seen such an outpouring of love and just cannot thank my family and friends enough for all they've done or God enough for giving you to me! Please know that all of your thoughts, prayers, food and hours of selfless service in taking care of our kids is so very much appreciated!

2 comments:

Alene said...

YAY for 27 weeks! That is great! I loved your post, I am glad there are nice people to visit with at the hospital.I love your great attitude too, Wendy, you are amazing! Don't forget that ;)

Wendy said...

Awe, thanks, Alene! We are soooo thrilled to be at 27 weeks now. There are wonderful people in the hospital. I find that most patients WANT to be positive and want to share that positivity and encourage those around them. I definitely hope I can help encourage other people going through a rough time.

Thanks for all the encouragement you've given!