Timothy is still only on C-PAP with room oxygen and has done incredibly well when the nurses have taken it out to do his "cares".
We did find out today that he has a PDA - basically a little opening between the aorta and pulmonary artery - that usually closes within days of birth in termies. Preemies, however, often need medication to help this close and, occasionally, surgery. So he was started on the neoprofen tonight and will receive daily doses for the next two days, followed by an echocardiogram on Sunday.
His bilirubin is also pretty high - 6.7 tonight - and it needs to be around or below 1. The nurse told me that once he poops again, that should help clear out the bilirubin. Come on, little buddy! He is under and on top of blue lights right now. Such a common thing that that really doesn't have me too worried.
Bless the NICU nurses. They let me hold him every night. Two hours the day he was born and then only 45 minutes last night and tonight because he can't spend too much time away from the lights. They have to move so many tubes to take him in and out, I sooooo appreciate everything they do!
It has made such a difference to get to hold him. I have suffered from baby blues and postpartum before and having this to look forward to late every night after everyone has gone to bed makes me so happy. And to top it off, I pumped tonight after I held him and, guess what, I'm lactating! Hooray! My first 0.5ml. (I know, I know. Where can we store so much?! =)
1 comment:
So glad to hear all is going well. I know your joy over getting whatever you can from a pumping session. You are so lucky that you were able to hold Timothy so soon!!
Post a Comment