Wednesday, June 29, 2011

It's a Sweltering Jungle!

And that jungle would be our house.  The last two days have been downright oppressive.  So hot during the day.  It makes for crankiness all around.  More screaming, crying, nitpicking...  But life is good early in the morning before the mercury surpasses the 100 mark.

However, I do think that some people have taken this a bit too far.  Yesterday, Landon came into Timmy's room at 4am.  He woke both of us up.  I wasn't too thrilled, but Timmy didn't seem to mind one bit.  In fact, he was more than happy to come out and eat Lucky Charms with Landon.  (Not sure why my kids always seem to want cereal in the dark of night.  Depends on the time and what state of sleep they catch me in whether or not they get it.  Since both boys appeared wide awake, I figured I'd just let them have a snack while I worked on Anistyn's blessing afghan some more.  I was so close!  (Happy to report I just finished it!  I'll post a picture tomorrow night after I've had a chance to wash and block it and take a picture in the natural light.)

I did turn Landon down on watching a movie and told him that we sleep when it's dark outside.  So, since Callie was in with James (again), Timmy and I layed down with Landon.  I, personally, had no trouble nodding off, other than the three-year-old next to me who kept wanting blankets a certain way or to hold Timmy.  Finally, both boys gave in as well and the next thing I knew, I was waking up to sunshine, two sleeping boys and two girls ready for cereal, along with a clock telling me that it was past nine already!




We slept away this morning too.  Timmy woke me up at 7:30 but I just felt so tired still so when he fell back asleep nursing, I debated whether or not to get up and do something productive in a quiet house or go back to sleep.  I chose option B and we all slept until nine again.

Both days have been fairly productive, although I'll be honest that we've watched a few too many movies.  Mostly due to the heat and the crankies.  Waking up at 9 has thrown off our nap schedule as well so I think I'm going to have to revamp this system after Thursday night.  (We're going to the circus!!!  So excited to take the kids for the first time.  The show doesn't start until 7:30pm so I'm hoping these nights of them wanting to play until 10 will work in our favor and then we can work on getting everyone up earlier again when we start swim lessons again next week.  By "we" I mean Trevlyn.)

Yesterday I got the furniture pushed back against the walls in Timmy's room.  I was desperately trying to figure out how I could take all four kids with me to Home Depot to get a shade for his window.  It's a scary thought.  On the one hand, it could go well.  But on the other hand, it could go wrong, very wrong.  The times I've had kids pulling things off shelves or darting down another aisle where I couldn't see them strikes enough fear in me that I try not to take everyone unless I absolutely have to.  And I was going to have to anyway to get Trevy registered for swimming lessons.  I had just about psyched myself up when...James came home!  He was about an hour early.  I had just gotten Timmy all set to go so I still had a little companion, but James was able to take the kids swimming to cool off.  It worked out so well!

Another plus is that I discovered the perfect Christmas gift for James (which I'll get to share =) ).  Thrilled to get something put back in Timmy's window, I went to install it shortly after James left for his meetings at the church.  Try as I might, I couldn't get anything from our Makita.  It's been such a good little drill.  My dad had it for a number of years and donated it to our cause, but I think it has finally decided to retire.  Fortunately, we have very handy neighbors so I sent out a quick text and Scott, out of the goodness of his heart, met me outside with his Craftsman.  Let me just say that, even drilling into masonry, that drill made short work of the job.  Like a hot knife through butter, as they say!

I used it again today and got Timmy's valances up and the shelf over his crib installed.  I cannot wait to have his nursery all together!  I also got an email last night that my border has shipped so I'm hoping to have everything in place by Friday night.  I LOVE finishing projects!

We also took dinner to the Dutsons tonight.  I made fresh tomato soup with tomatoes and parsley from our garden.  It turned out right well, if I do say so myself.  Also made bread, as promised.  (Could be part of the reason our house was so hot.  Although I'm inclined to believe that I couldn't have heated it up much hotter than it already was!)

In case you too have been searching for one, this is the best and easiest bread recipe I have ever discovered!  Thank you, Miki, for passing it on!

Ingredients:
2 cups warm water
2/3 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour

Directions:

1.In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast.
Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam.
2.Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3.Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans.
Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
4.Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

We also made turtle brownies again for dessert.  I let Callie help clean the spoon and Landon took possession of the bowl.  Such a funny kid!




Cute Timmy.  We were all just trying to survive tonight and this was his cute smiling face while I tried to finish doing everything I need the drill for so I can get it back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendy... I found you on the pprom thread on baby center. I was reading one of your posts and you mentioned dr maciula and I knew you had to be in Tucson! I am currently on hospital bed rest at umc with pprom, and would love to pick your brain a little! My name is heather. I only have my cell, so the best way to reach me is by email. My email is heatherdacus@gmail.com. I will be 31 weeks tomorrow, and ruptured at 29.5 weeks with my twin girls.

Look forward to talking with you!