Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pops Under the Stars

Amazing what a little sleep can do for you!  I went to bed last night by 11:00 and only got up once with Timmy.  I have had more energy today than I've had in a long time!  Hooray!  So nice to make it all the way through a day without feeling desperate for a nap!

Last night we took the kids to listen to Pops Under the Stars.  We had a great time.  And we even made it on time!  Since 1955, the Tucson Pops Orchestra has been putting on concerts in the spring and fall for about six week that are free to the public and fabulous!  You just take your camping chairs, blankets, picnic baskets, etc...and go listen.  Sara introduced me to the back in college and we had a great time.  We would purposely just take blankets and sit behind everyone else so we could sprawl and check out the constellations while we listened and sang along.  Great memories!

We had to walk a bit last night, as we got to the park around 6:30 and the concert starts at 7.  Unfortunately, in my excitement, I had forgotten to throw the single stroller in the van.  (Guess we could have taken the double, which is always in the car, but it's so big in comparison.)  Luckily, I had the front pack in the car so I was able to put Timmy in that and still hold Trevy's hand.  She had on a  pair of shoes that I bought at Savers last Monday that she had found before I had a chance to hide them.  They are really cute but too big for the girls right now and they aren't exactly fast walkers to begin with.  (Wonder where they get that...)

In any case, we were about three houses behind James and Melissa and the twins by the time they had all crossed Country Club so I just picked Trevy up under one arm and did some impressive (and, I'm sure, entertaining) speed walking to catch up.  James waited on the other side of the street and we swapped kids.  Callie wanted to hold my hand and Trevy wanted a piggy back.  (I did try, but she couldn't figure out what I meant by hiking her legs up and she was dangling.  I couldn't grab her legs either with Timmy in the front.  Maybe next time...prob'ly not.   ♪♫♪♫ (Sara, you're singing with me, right?)

Anyhow, as we were walking along, Melissa, who was in the lead, turned around and commented that this would be a cute family shot...if someone brought the camera.  So I whipped it out!  The concert was about to start, so I only had the cooperation of Callie.  And Ahne.  But isn't she cute?  She thought to give Ahne a piggy-back all by herself!  Love this picture!  LOVE this girl!


Timmy getting his free ride.
Trevy getting hers.

We found a spot just big enough for our blanket right in the middle.  Literally.  About halfway back and almost dead center.  Here's our view of the shell.

I immediately offended our neighbors by changing Timmy's diaper.  I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that it never even crossed my mind that anyone around us might be turned off.  Timmy had been having little poops all afternoon and I had just changed him before we left.  Consequently, this one wasn't a big blowout or anything and I figured I could just change it quickly at our spot instead of hauling him elsewhere.  Happy to say that Melissa's offering of watermelon combined with a lack of tantrums for the evening turned things around and they even offered to share their blanket with us, if need be.

The kids really seemed to enjoy themselves too.  First the watermelon...



(I thought this was hysterical.  Landon wiping himself down.  Teehee!
 Gotta get it all.  Apparently he got some down his shirt.)

...and then the music.  I love that any one of our kids will randomly burst into song or dance or a combination of the two.  Melts my heart every time!

James and Trevy

Timmy snacking on the Cheez-Its

He enjoyed the music too!

There was a dog that was just in front of us that would bark when everyone applauded.  Crazy!  It was a black lab.  So nice!  The lady asked Landon if he wanted to pet her and he just hissed back.  I didn't think he'd understood so I asked him if he wanted to pet the dog and he got the biggest smile on his face and nodded so I had him ask instead.  And we all know Callie can't resist a canine friend!

Another outing after bedtime.  Sigh.  But well worth the memories!

So I was able to get my page font changed, obviously.  One perk to being awake for hours in the middle of the night with only one free hand and half a brain cell to work with.  Plenty of awake down time!  One of these days I'll get to cleaning up the side bar.

Many thanks to those who so kindly read our blog and even more kindly responded to the last post regarding kindergarten/preschool and disciplining children.  I'm getting better!  I think part of it comes with sleep and part of it comes from the thought that disciplining children is much easier than not in the long run.  I'm still open to all thoughts and suggestions!

But, as it's now Tuesday morning, I bid you all a fond sleep and I'm over and out!

No comments: