Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tricycle Landon

I'm so sporatic with posting.  However, after reading Cindy's rather lengthy, yet extremely impressive with the pictures, descriptive dialogue and accurately entertaining commentary on her last post, I'm feeling inspired to put out another one before heading to bed tonight.  I have so many posts in my head and some are falling off the bandwagon.  However, this one has videos that are just screaming to be shared!

Last Saturday was James's brother, Jon's wedding.  We had to be to the temple by 10 to make it to the sealing.  It's a two-hour drive from Tucson to Mesa so (for those who don't wish to do the simple math) that meant we had to leave here by 8...8am...0800...three hours post sunrise...  With four kids.  Which meant we would have to get up with the sunrise.  That's freakishly early, I don't care who you are!  Granted, we might have been able to figure out a way to leave them with someone, but it's a little tricky with the trach and the only people I could think of close enough were Lisa (who just had a baby in March) and Amy (who's due within the next few weeks).  Pretty sure neither of them would have relished the thought.  Plus, the kids are family, so they were invited anyway.

Miraculously, we made it.  We were on the road before 8:00.  I ran out of time to do the girls' hair, but I had a bag loaded with swim stuff (we were still debating on whether or not we wanted to fork it out for our crew to join everyone else who was going to Sunsplash.  I'm sure it would have been fun, but we would have nixed any possibility of Callie getting a nap and the kids would have had to take turns going on the waterslides with one of us while the other watched Timmy.  So we opted out this time around.), a backpack full of crayons, coloring books and other books, and another backpack with a change of clothes for the reception and extra socks and underwear.  (Landon has been very into being out of diapers lately.  Very exciting.  He's done really well for the most part, but sit him in front of Starfall and you're almost guaranteed a wet chair!) so kudos to me! 

On the way to the temple, it occured to me that I hadn't asked Sharon if she thought her boys would be willing to watch our kids in addition to her youngest.  (She has teenagers.)  I was thinking that they could probably handle suctioning for an hour.  Timmy has new (and improved!) trach ties so I really wasn't worried about an accidental decannulation.  However, after we got to the temple and it took us 15 minutes just to walk to the front of the temple from across the street, I knew there was no way we were going to be able to find Lorin and Andrew and make it back in time for the sealing.  We ran into Leah and apparently she and Larry always take turns, depending on whose sibling is getting married.  So we called Larry and I met up with him and Leah and James went on into the temple.  I wish I could have taken all the kids so that at least one of us could have gone in.  Definitely better that I didn't, as it was nice to have Larry's help with ours.  The time went really quickly and James and Leah were coming for us before I had even had a chance to wonder how long is this going to take?

Tessa looked absolutely stunning. 

I think Jon may have just looked stunned. (Buh-dum-bump.) 
At least I got a few pictures of them at the temple because I had yet to chance out the card in our new camera. Who knew that 1GB only holds a few videos?

After the family lunch at Old Country Buffet, we took Becky up on her offer to use the couch (Callie) and sprinkler (Trevy and Landon) at her parents' house.  Such a blessing!  An absolutely enormous thank you to the Lawyers!  You made our afternoon!

I know Landon especially had a great time.  They had roller skates, a walker and a couple of tricycles on the front porch.  Our deprived children have never been on one.  Landon figured it out, though, and rode the thing almost the entire four hours we were there!  At first he couldn't figure out how to turn enough to turn around so he would just get where he was going, get off, pick the trike up and turn it around.

But, I'm proud to say, he did figure it out.


His first "accident".

I asked him if he was having fun and his response was:
(Don't mind the sneezing.)

Becky and I went over to Kohl's to do a little pre-Memorial Day shopping.  We were gone a couple of hours and Landon was back on the bike when we returned.  No idea how long he was out there.  My guess would be a long time!

Jon and Tessa's reception was a lot of fun.  It was outdoors and casual.  They had a Western theme so everyone was invited to wear jeans.  The place they held it was owned by friends of the Ralphs and it was perfect for families so it wasn't a problem taking the kids.  There was a sand box and a swing set, complete with a tire horse!  They had homemade dutch oven strawberry and peach cobbler to top with homemade ice cream.  Homemade root beer as well.  Very nice!  Just wish our camera had had a larger card!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Rather lengthy! I prefer informative :) Love all the new posts and pics of the kiddos. They're getting so big!! Miss you guys tons!!