We took the kids to the circus last Thursday. I think we all had a pretty good time. We purchased the tickets over a month ago so we've had it to look forward to for a while. I find it interesting that I don't think our kids get that anxious feeling of looking forward to something and having the time drag yet, on the other hand, I see events scheduled in the future now and know they're going to be here and past in no time. Life really does seem to just speed up the older you get.
But back to last Thursday. Landon didn't wake up until 10am and Callie took an extra long nap that afternoon. I think she fell asleep around 12:30 and didn't wake up until after 4:00. Normally I wouldn't have let her sleep so long but I figured that that would help her get through the circus, seeing as it didn't start until 7:30pm. Trevy was the one that concerned me most.
We had dinner around 6:00. I made tomato soup again. Heaven in a soup bowl, I tell you! Not to brag. I had only made it the one time for the Dutsons before. But what flavor! Definitely a great way to use tomatoes that are going soft.
Somehow time sped by us in spite of our best efforts and we ended up barely making it out the door by about 7:00. Of course there was quite the line of cars when we closed in on our destination around 7:25 so we knew we weren't going to be in our seats right when everything started. As we got closer to the doors, James offered to have Melissa and me take the kids and the gear and not have to have short legs walk so far and he would park the car and run. Superb idea! Except that Landon had climbed in the car without shoes!!!
The shoeless wonder turned out not to be a huge deal. We unloaded as fast as we could and waited for a break in traffic to cross the street. Melissa made it across with Landon and Callie and Trevy broke down on me. One has to love a four-year-old tantrum when already running late. She wanted to be carried but I already had Timmy in the front carrier and, quite frankly, I think almost five is a bit old to be getting carried around anyone. (Okay, the occasional piggy-back, but in this case, no.)
We made it across the street and to where Melissa had stopped to wait for us with just enough time for me to tell her that I would put money on James actually beating us at this point. Sure enough, he was standing next to us just a couple minutes later.
We had better seats than I thought. We had to go down a number of stairs and the circus performers finished doing their grand entrance while we were descending. There were lots of lights, lots of cheering, lots of clapping...and the saddest face known to man. Poor Timmy. It scared him! Same thing the with the next few rounds of applause and then I think he adjusted and was able to enjoy himself, even dancing to the music on occasion.
I took a ton of pictures but not too many turned out. (Not terribly surprising as it was dark and I just had our little point-and-shoot.) Here are some of the better ones.
Clowns. (I have no idea how many years it took me to discover the real purpose behind the clowns...)
It's pretty amazing what they can get horses and zebras to do. Alas, this shot just shows the animals, any great tricks were too blurry.
Callie got tired, in spite of her long nap! Landon loved the show. He was wide awake the entire time! For the most part, he and Timmy sat on my legs because there was no one sitting in the seat in front of me so they could get a good view. Melissa was on the aisle and James is tall enough to generally have a decent view anyway.
Melissa and Trevy.Mommy and Timmy.
How many clowns does it take to change a light bulb? It was a cute skit. A bit long, perhaps.
But I caught one of the clowns on the way down!
I believe this was prior to the intermission I honestly have no idea how people walk on stilts. How do they get upright in the first place? And whoever came up with such a crazy notion?
More clown stunts. They were riding around on this big inflatable-looking motorcycle. Pretty creative in their methods of getting on and off. (You can see the guy on the far right. We didn't have the greatest view of the high wire. It doesn't look quite as impressive when you can't see the wire and people don't look like they have too far to go.)
The strong men. These guys were a bit disturbing, to be honest. This part I thought was pretty amazing. They rotated utility poles with swings on them that other performers sat on.
But some of their other stunts looked a little too...well, wrong, for lack of a better word.
This guy was awesome! I am so glad I got this picture. You can see how young he is.
I got a lot of video footage, but it isn't the clearest. There were at least a few times it looked like he was about to fall off the wheel and I felt myself cringe in apprehension, but then he would run a little faster or grab onto the outside of the wheel and flip himself back on.
Other than the first few minutes, I think Timmy really enjoyed his first circus.
Callie was ready to go home shortly after the intermission at 8:30.
(More intermission shots.)
We couldn't have asked for better seats. We were in the topmost row of the bottom section. Right next to a stairwell that went down to the bathrooms. We haven't had too many accidents (other than nighttime) for awhile so I really didn't want to put the kids in diapers just because we were going to be in public for three hours. They did so well! Melissa and I took the older three to the bathroom right before the intermission. No lines, no problems. So nice!
The girls came up with a little intermission entertainment of their own. I love these kids!
The girls were both ready to leave not long after the second half began. Blessedly, all it took was having the elephants appear and Callie was in heaven.
The tigers. The trainer spoke about half English / half Spanish. There's no way you'd ever get me in a cage with 10 tigers. I don't care how well trained they are!
The human cannonball. I think this was the last major feat of the night. Definitely went with the song the ring master was singing as they set up, "Fire it up!" We couldn't get that out of our heads for days!
My favorite part of the circus was having my kids with me. I love watching their faces light up and just holding their warm little bodies in my arms. I know I'm a lucky woman to have them in my life and I wouldn't trade them - tantrums, potty-training accidents and all - for anything!
1 comment:
Love the videos! Looks like a fun night!!
Post a Comment