Sunday, July 17, 2011

Goin' on Safari! (aka: Cairn's Birthday Party)

Yesterday the kids got to go to a Safari birthday party.  Cairn and her friend, Rebekah, are both turning three.  (I think July is midway between their birthdays so perfect for a joint water-fun birthday party!)

We were a little late in getting there, having decided to start making the effort of going to help clean the church building as a family.  Alas, since I hadn't checked my email yet, I missed the note that things started half an hour earlier than I was thinking so everything was pretty much done when we got there.

We got home, got the kids dressed to play in the water and got them to the ball park for the party and not one of them even went near the water.  Even after I put Timmy's feet in the baby pool.  Oh well.  I think they enjoyed watching the other kids on the slip and slide.

Cairn's dad grilled a bunch of hot dogs for lunch.  Having to serve four little people is a bit of a trick.  Trevy is getting old enough to help so she carried drinks and chips.  I have discovered that the most efficient method for me to get food for everyone is to stack four plates and heap food on the top one, carry it to the group and distribute.  As Timmy is becoming a bit of a wiggler these days, I decided to have the kids picnic on the towels in the shade instead of at the picnic tables with everyone else.


In doing so, we were able to have a special guest at our "table".

Landon had a blast with his ladybug friend and had a hard time letting it go.



I tried to get him to use the place-your-finger-in-front-and-let-the-bug-climb-on technique and he did that about half the time.  I don't think the ladybug enjoyed the squeeze technique he used the other half.

Following lunch, I was truly touched that Cairn's mom, who had plenty of other guests and her birthday girl to attend to, came over and took the girls to the table where they could make binoculars while I cleaned up and brought the boys.

Carrie is so extremely creative.  She had paper binoculars for the kids to decorate with markers and stickers.


 Silly Trevy!

Once all the kids had their specs, they got to go on a safari scavenger hunt...


... and they found the cute animal cakes!


Almost as cute as the birthday girls digging in!


Absolutely hilarious - Cairn got her whole piece on the fork!



All the kids loved the animal cupcakes.


Particularly the frosting part!

Landon and his lady friends.  Don't know, Sadie and the other little girl just followed him to the picnic table.

 Three cheers for cupcakes!

Then the girls got to open their presents. (This is the one we brought.)

Callie had to watch.  I LOVE the binocular purse!!!

 
And Timmy was in heaven on the ground.  He so loves his freedom these days.  Still loves being carried around, but he squirms and pushes away when he's had enough.

The wind was blowing just a bit.  Love the tufts of hair on top of his head!




Happy 3rd birthday, Cairn and Rebekah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I came across your blog and was very intrigued. I just had a couple of questions, so if you could e-mail me back that would be great! Thank you for your time.

Wendy said...

Hi Megan!

I would be happy to but I need to know your email address.