Thursday, May 27, 2010

NICU Night #35 - Loving on Timmy

I did make it in Tuesday night. One little queasy feeling while I was there, but Tuesday on the whole was a much better day.

I didn't write anything down Tuesday night, as I meant to blog then, but I know Timmy did gain a little weight and, overall, not much changed. Vent setting still on 16.

One thing that really impressed me was that Chris got Timmy into my arms really quickly Tuesday night. It's the hardest thing to miss Kangaroo Kare. However, I just don't feel it's worth risking it if I end up with the flu. Thank goodness that hasn't happened!

After Chris and Alison (one of the respiratory therapists) got Timmy into my arms, Chris asked about my feet. So sweet of her to remember! They are doing soooo much better since sleeping with a small pillow under them. Who knew that even the slightest gradient could make such a difference?

We had an excellent snuggling session Tuesday night. If kisses were steps home, we'd have made it home and back at least three times!

Melissa came and chatted with us for a little while too. Aside from having it be great to have a friend to talk to, it's also nice that she's a nurse and right there should anything happen.

I know I nodded off at least once while I was holding Timmy. It's just the sweetest thing in the world to sit there holding him, knowing that James is home with the other three, the doors are locked and they are safe and I have nothing else to worry about for a few hours but loving on my little man. I know it benefits Timmy too because the dings of the monitor always wake me up - either by their noise or from the nurse coming in to check - and we really didn't have any once we got settled and he got suction support to his airways. The movement always feels his lungs with secretions, but once clear, his O2 sats are stellar!

Finally had to put Timmy back to bed around 1am. I was starting to really fall asleep and was due for pumping again. Working desperately at not going more than 2 hours without a pumping session. Things seem to be staying pretty stable. Not necessarily going back up, but at least we're not going down anymore!

The funny moment of the night came when Alison was "helping" get Timmy back to bed. She pulled the button to bring the back of the chair up and literally flung us forward. (Fear not, I always have a very good grip on Timmy whenever he's being moved so he wasn't injured in any way.) We got a good laugh at how well those ejection chairs work!

I ran into Melissa again walking around the unit with Jenny on my way out. Guess you can still get a little tired even when you're used to working nights!

No comments: