Tuesday, May 4, 2010

NICU Day #12 - Timmy Gets His Sign!

Sunday, May 2, 2010

I've decided to date each visit so I can remember the actual date things happened on. Lately, I've been so exhausted when I get home that I hardly dare let myself do more than pump, as I know the tiredness will just carry over and build up and I really don't want to be falling asleep while I'm holding Timmy. Already I can tell a difference - I used to be able to hold him until almost 2am and now I can't even make it until midnight!

Doug was our nurse Sunday night. He was great! I've seen him in the NICU a number of times, but he was never the lucky one to have Timmy. We had a good discussion about kids starting out little and childhood obesity. He has a niece (I'm thinking) who has always been petite. Her mother was given the same advice as a friend of mine - increase the cream and butter intake. Seriously? It really seems like the health of the child should matter much more than the size. I love our pediatrician. I think we'll just be taking Timmy gestational age at birth into consideration for a good long time.

Timmy weighed in at 2 lbs. 12 oz. again Sunday night, although he had gained 10 grams. He was also taking 8ml at his feedings. Pretty impressive for a little guy! However, he was still having some aspirate, so the doctors were just going to see how the next feeding went before deciding whether to continue or lay off the feedings for a while. When I left at midnight, Doug let me do most of the feeding by myself for the first time. He loaded the syringe and I got to hold it and work the plunger and watch for all the milk to disappear. Amazing the feeling that comes with doing ANYTHING for your baby. I love changing his tiny little diapers and letting him hold my fingers for comfort when the nurses are repositioning him and getting him all settled after I've held him. I've also checked his temperature once. I just wish I was able to be there for more of his cares. The nighttime one comes around 8:30 and usually I get there right after. =(

Another fun susprise - Francesca was there Sunday night as well. Not sure what her job was. I know she didn't have Timmy, but it looked like she was more of a floater than in charge of any specific baby. Sooo....at one point while I was holding Timmy she stopped and asked if I call him Tim or Timothy... I said, "Timmy" and about an hour later he had one of the cute signs on his isolette.

What a lucky mom! Still off the bilirubin lights, so I got a good long hold Sunday night.

He did have a couple of "bradys" - spells of bradycardia, slow heart rate - but he bounced right back every time woth a few kisses to the head. A little scary, but the nurses were always there and, between the three of us, we were always able to rouse him enough to get it back up.

I just love how peaceful he looks when he's all tucked in asleep.
I was very excited to get to give him fresh milk Sunday night and, since I'm posting two days later, I'm very glad I did.

1 comment:

Clarisa said...

i love reading your post. sorry you are so tired. you are giving everything you can, i know, plus some. keep it up, you can do it! i love reading about timmy and all the wonderful things he is to you. so wonderfully sweet! cute sign! and blanket!