Monday, May 24, 2010

NICU Day #33 - On An Even Keel

Sunday, May 23, 2010


It's been a good day today. The Gila Valley temple was dedicated and James and I were each able to attend one of the dedicatory sessions. He went to the stake center at 9 and I went to the noon session. Very excited and eager to get to use the new building. Even though it's not our temple district, you go where the babysitters are!

I called the NICU again when I returned home. Cassie was on again and had only good to report - fewer residuals, bumping Timmy up to 6mls at his next feeding; blood gases good again so flow rate dropping as well, down to 22.



It was still at 22 when I went in tonight. I was surprised not to have Jenny again, as she had told me she was on tonight. Turns out that one of the primaries for Timmy's neighbor, Axel, won the coin toss tonight. =(

Chris is very nice. I've watched her before, but she hasn't had Timmy to this point. She is very efficient, even if she's not very eager to have parents do much. (I kind of felt like the child who asked to help mommy do the dishes. What mom turns that down? But who doesn't like to just get the job done?!) I did ask to hold Timmy tonight and she got us all set up. Nothing sweeter than kissing his soft little head while he sleeps on my chest.

I did ask her opinion on my breast milk decrease. My feet have become very edematous again and that got me to wondering if I'm just retaining fluid all around. She said she has never heard of that and doesn't think so. Dr. Maciulla happened to be in the unit and came in to see Timmy at that point so I asked him and his first response was, "you're pregnant." I wish I had had some good come back on that one like, "shhh, we're not telling anyone yet", but those kinds of witty moments always occur in my dreams. In any case, no no no, I am not pregnant. The good news, however, is that my cankles are not a concern, just postpartum fluid retention. He pointed out that I'm on my feet a lot more than I was last time with kids at home and a baby in the NICU so everyone just told me to keep drinking lots of fluids and try elevating my feet at night. Will do! (Although not having ankle bones does make it easier to shave your legs, however unattractive they might be!)




Chris did tell me that she remembers a discussion she attended that mentioned something about the body cluing in to the fact that there isn't a baby drawing the milk after about 4-6 weeks and dropping milk production. She said she vaguely remembers that, in general, if you continue to pump, the body will increase production again. I sure hope so. Dorothy, the other nurse in the room, doesn't remember hearing any of this so couldn't corroborate the statement, but I'm hoping it's true, nonetheless. Both nurses assured me that, even if my milk supply dries up, I have already given Timmy the most valuable part - the colostrum and certain antibodies - in the first month.

While I was holding Timmy, I asked Chris what her thoughts/experiences were with babies who have had abdominal surgery not being able to take breast milk. She really doesn't think that that will be Timmy's case because he still has his entire small intestine, which is where the nutrient absorption takes place. The colon is primarily responsible for fluid absorption and balance. She has a former patient, now 2-years-old, who had 85% of his bowels (small and large intestine) removed and is doing very well, eating table food. So, to her, having half his large intestine taken out doesn't make him an immediate candidate for not being able to have breast milk and not really in the running for short bowel syndrome at all, as that has to do with the small intestine only and Timmy has all of his.

Such a better visit. I had to use the restroom after holding Timmy and Chris already had his diaper changed when I got back. She is a little shorter than I am so I didn't notice her feeding Timmy until she was done. Consequently, I didn't get to help with his cares tonight. Sad, but I will be back tomorrow morning and I am tired anyway so off to bed!

One more cute photo.

No comments: