Thursday, May 20, 2010

NICU Day #29- Four Weeks Old Today

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Just getting back again. These late nights and early mornings are likely to start kicking me in the pants really hard really soon! But I can't get enough of holding the sweetest little man in the NICU!

It's been another busy day. We made it to the library and Fry's. (No major grocery shopping, but I needed more chocolate chips to dip strawberries as a thank you for the NICU nurses. They turned out so beautifully! If I do say so myself!


I love how the kids enjoy helping me these days. Particularly Landon. He's been so willing to sit in the cart wherever I need him and LOVES to hold items and hand them to me for check-out. So sweet!

We also had a visit this afternoon from Aunt Yvonne and the cousins and it was really nice. The kids play together so well. It gave me the chance to finally finish going through the kids clothes and put away the winter clothes and those that are now too small. Let's hear it for getting the laundry all put away! It may seem like an added burdensome task to take on right now, but just knowing where their pajamas were tonight was so nice. Knowing that I'll be able to go their drawers in the morning and pull out outfits that fit in under 30 seconds as opposed to 10 minutes of digging through laundry baskets and hoping to find something that fits and maybe matches will be very nice as well.

Another big thank you for the day going out to the Selims who made us dinner and the Christiansons for bringing it by. It really is so appreciated! Hoping to get thank you cards out one of these days, but please know it means a lot to us to have such wonderful friends always willing to help out!

It took a little longer than planned to get the kids to bed and then I remembered that the sheets for our bed were still in the dryer so I didn't make it back to the NICU until almost 10 again. We did get to have Laurel as our nurse again. It's been sad not getting to have her for 2 weeks, due to Timmy's increased acuity level and her being always on-call as a transport nurse.

She told me that Timmy has done really well today. His vent setting was at 27 when I got there and was dropped to 25 around 2am. Feedings have continued to go well. Even when he has given residuals back, they haven't been more than what was put in and he has been able to further digest the formula once it's been put back in. He's back up to 2ml every 4 hours. Not sure exactly when they started that or what the plan is for increasing. I will either call this morning or try to go in or have James go in and find out. Laurel also agreed that she's not sure why we are doing formula instead of breastmilk, as mother nature should definitely be a step up, but the neonatal doctors are constantly doing and reading research and should really know what's best for baby. It seems, though, that if things keep progressing as they are, Timmy should be able to get the good stuff next week.

His weight tonight was 1815. I got to help Laurel with that. Maybe that's why it was high. We weighed twice and got 11** the second time. Definitely off on that one! Timmy looks even less edematous today. Not sure how he's losing the fluid and gaining weight at the same time. He really is a miraculous little guy!

Oh, happy day - we did get to Kangaroo again. It's hard when I get there at 10 and his cares are due around then as well. Then we aren't able to start Kangarooing until close to 11. Once again, he did exceptionally well. I LOVE the new chairs! They really do make a big difference. You can fully recline in them and they don't squeak. It really helps to be able to get baby in the most comfortable position. I'll be honest, I know I nodded off at least a couple of times. I don't remember Laurel coming in to take his temperature for the 2am cares, but there she was.

Just a few sweet parting poses. I love what he does with his hands! The nurses all comment that he does the cutest things. Couldn't agree more!



It is definitely exhausting, but so worth every minute of every day to do everything I can for my little family. I know things are much better when I can get the older kids out of the house for at least a little while each day and the world is just so much brighter now that I can hold Timmy again. His incision looks really good as well so I don't think he's in pain anymore. No more distention and no redness at the site. The doctors decreased his morphine on Monday from 5 mcg/kg to 4mcg/kg. Not sure if this went down again today, but I know they are eager to get him off the morphine entirely. Can't disagree with that! Who wants their baby to be addicted to pain killers?

As always, a heartfelt thanks to everyone who continues to pray for and assist our family in any way. We love and appreciate everything!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

So glad to hear you can hold him again! I understand about getting the kids out of the house. I have been trying to get Annie out as much as possible. I know when Natalie comes home we'll be housebound for a long time. It also helps to keep me a little more sane.
You are doing a fantastic job!!!