What a blessing to have amazing friends. Monday morning, Julie and Indi came over to hang out with the older kids so James and I could go to the hospital together. It was really nice. It has been over a week since we were able to go together and it was nice to hear the same information at the same time to feel like we are now both on the same page instead of just me giving James the updates every morning. Not the greatest when you're in sleep deprivation mode!
Here is our sweet little man. Still a Halloween punkin.
We talked a little more and she told me about her boys. Their names are Decklin and Marek (spelling may be incorrect). Very Irish.
This next picture is of the monitor that is connected to Timmy's ventilator. I'm understanding a few more numbers each day, but Melissa told me the numbers to watch are the ones on the bottom, in particular the bpm (breaths per minute). It's the second one from the right, 39 in this shot. This tells how many breaths the machine is helping Timothy to make. They will slowly wean him off completely. He started around 45 bpm, so already 39 is an improvement.
The other number we watch a lot is the one on the far left, 21. This is the oxygen (O2) saturation in Timmy's blood. I fear that I keep rewriting the same thing, but in case I haven't stated before, 21% O2 is room air so he wasn't needing any extra oxygen when I took this photo. That has definitely varied since he returned from surgery. I believe 35% is the highest I've ever seen or been told about. Even that really isn't a lot extra.
Timmy's current weight (taken early each evening) is 3 pounds 8.5 ounces. Talk about a growth spurt! Although I am told that much of the gain is due to the fluid retention. More really good news is that his sodium levels are up - 131 today - so he is within normal range again. Sigh of relief.
I believe I mentioned that Timmy likes to hold things. This doesn't exclude the ventilator tubing or the replogle. Just so sweet.
***
Monday was a busy day. Between visits to see Timmy, I got a tour of the new NICU unit in the Diamond Children's Center at UMC. Oh, my goodness, it's nice! Sooo very excited for next week. The nurses are all thrilled to have more space and storage but I think everyone is a little eager to have the initial move and learning curve phase over. (Not that the nurses are learning a lot of new things, but there is some new software and it always takes a little getting used to where things are in a new place.)
Karin is one of the sweetest people I've ever met. I'm not entirely sure exactly what her position is, but she was in charge on Monday and it really meant a lot that she took the time to come talk to James and me in the morning and offer to take us on a tour of the new unit. I rode back to the 8th floor NICU after the tour to give Timmy one more kiss and thank Nancy for taking care of him for the day and ended up running into Dr. Maciulla on the way out. He asked me what had happened - initially we had worried about his lungs and they were perfect and then Timmy had to go and blow his bowels. Rather than repeat all details, I asked if he had already had the rundown and he said yes and that they were thinking Hirschsprung's. This took me back a little because Dr. Cosantino had really sounded like we didn't want to jump to that conclusion, so I was holding out praying that there was some "webbing" instead that was causing the blockage. Obviously, not being naive here either, I'm just learning that it's much better to not panic until you know for certain whether or not it's worth freaking out.
Another random note, I also went grocery shopping for the first time in three months. And I've still got it! Spent $29.xx at Safeway and saved more than $30! Gotta love sales combined with coupons!
No comments:
Post a Comment