Today has been very busy. A very deep, heartfelt thanks to Brian and Shanna Mosely who came over this morning to watch our older three so that James and I could go to the hospital together and be there for the doctors' rounds. Thank you both so very much!
We arrived somewhere around 9:30 and actually had to wait a bit before they got to Timmy. Which is fine. I'm always worried that we'll miss Timmy in the rounds for getting there late, but I have felt many times along this road that there are little angels helping us out with many small miracles.
I really do enjoy being there for rounds. For the most part, it's just a listen and nod session, but I appreciate being asked how I feel about things and how I perceive Timmy's status. Nancy was Timmy's day nurse again so she let the doctors know we were there and then took us to the conference room when it was Timmy's turn. Dr. Bedrick was the head in charge today and Dr. Johnson was again the resident conducting the rounds.
In general, there aren't any major changes on a daily basis. The only exception this time came from the doctors deciding it is time to restart Timmy on feedings. I know the thought strikes fear in both James's and my heart but, at the same time, we know he needs to learn to eat at some point. Fortunately, we were able to voice our concerns and be assured that the doctors are taking things slowly this time. Timmy was started out on 2ml of Progestimil every 4 hours, starting around 2pm.
When I called Nancy for the updates around 4:30, she informed me that Radiology had finally arrived to do Timmy's head and renal ultrasounds and that things looked good to the technician. Still needs to be reviewed by the doctor, but always a good sign to me if someone who has seen things before doesn't see anything grossly abnormal.
Timmy's first feed had gone well, no residuals, so it appears that his tummy is digesting the formula and passing it through his intestines. The only output in his ostomy bag was clear fluid so also very good.
Each Sunday, blood is drawn to assess Timmy's hematocrit, the percentage of his blood made up by red blood cells. It should be at 40 but he was 27 so he was given another blood transfusion in two stages, 17ml over the course of two hours twice with a 2 hours break in between. Nancy had started the transfusion before we left and his hematocrit was up to 39.5 when I called. Perfect! She reported that he was "nice and pink" and his O2 saturation levels were looking much better, a little less surfing. Also his CO2 levels, which ideally should be below 60, had gone from 80 that morning to 74 after the first transfusion down to 70.
Another nice little thing Nancy mentioned was that Timmy had the PICC line removed from his left arm. (I asked Jenny last week what was running through each line. The PICC carried Timmy's TPN and lipids and morphine. He still has the broviac line in his right thigh - those are placed by the surgeons and can stay in for weeks or months - and he receives his antibiotics through that one.) It was in for 20 days and just needs to be taken out after that point. Hooray for lines coming out! Not sure the nurses agree, but it definitely seems like he has plenty of tubing and wires left!
Slowly, they have been moving the pediatric and neonatal units over and Tuesday morning from 4am-8am was the big push to move the NICU.
I debated for hours whether or not I would stay for the actual move. Some friends even asked if I was going to stay. Not sure. Tuesday mornings are all me, as James has to be to work at 7 so even if I stayed, I wouldn't be able to stay for the entire move and they had already told me Timmy would be one of the last, as he is one of the higher acuity babies now.
I stayed until about 3am. Had my last pumping session at 2:30 and noticed that things were getting a big louder with people coming in in preparation for the move. More lights coming on to start gathering things. At that point, I decided I wanted to let Timmy be, close and cover his isolette to keep him as comfortable as possible.
Melissa had Timmy on his tummy for the first time since his surgery. He looked sooooo cute! He was just so snuggled with his feet and hands all tucked in. He also really seem to enjoy being in that position.
A fond farewell to the 8th floor NICU and a warm welcome to the 4th floor of the Diamond Children's Center.
No comments:
Post a Comment