Monday, May 17, 2010

NICU Day #25 - One Week Post-Op

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday was one heck of a busy day around here! So many things to do and get done while both James and I are home. Apparently we're not the only ones with a to do list longer than the Nile. A good friend who has given so many hours and meals to us over the past few months posted on Facebook that she needed someone to watch her boys so she could do some painting. They're trying to sell their townhouse and just need to repaint some walls. We jumped at the chance. Babysitting kids who love to play with our kids can actually make life easier. They all run out to the swing set and entertain themselves for a while.

Which I desperately needed. Since Timmy was still off feedings but I'm still pumping, our freezer was getting a little full. Bottles were starting to fall out every time I opened the door and I just don't think I could handle one shattering. Not just having to clean up the mess, but the loss of precious milk. So I rearranged the freezer and got all my little bottles organized so that, when the time comes, I'll be able to pull out the oldest stuff first.

Here's my little army. Yep, 100+. And counting! When I arrived at the NICU Saturday night, Timmy was swaddled very cutely. We had Cindy as our night nurse for the first time. She was fun. She would talk to him and tell him that she knew all his little preemie tricks. He likes to grab onto the ventilator tubing so she had his hands and arms wrapped to help keep them away from the tubing. It's very cute, but definitely a good thing for him to pull on the tubing as he can extubate himself. She told me that he had worked off a full side of the tape. It's quite sticky and he got one of his fingers stuck to it one other night. I had to carefully peel it off because his skin is so sensitive.

You can see him working his left hand up.

And now the right one too.
Just got one finger looped around the tubing. He didn't pull, but he really likes this position. He also likes to hold fingers. It's amazing how quickly having something to hold can calm him down. Not sure what he held inside, but it works every time!
What a cutie!
Here's the far view. I love that Cindy had the top of the isolette open so that I could reach in and hold his fingers.
This is Timmy's new bed. Each baby will have a brand new isolette in the new NICU unit. They are amazing! The top raises and lowers, the sides fold completely away, the entire thing can be raised and lowered, monitors plug in to track baby's temperature...
Only 3 more days in spot #2.
Timmy went back up just a wee bit on the vent settings. He was at 17 last night, but 19 still isn't bad. Just hate that he goes back on anything. I am more than ready for him to be off the ventilator again. And, as much as he loves to hold the tubing, I think he's right there with me!
Lately, it seems like Timmy has required more oxygen to maintain his sats. Not sure if he's getting tired or what. I hate seeing that number go up too, but I do have faith that the day will come when he comes home completely off oxygen and the ventilator.
Cindy really was a lot of fun. She has great stories. She's worked a number of places, including back east, Las Vegas and San Diego. She's part of the dermatology team at UMC and had done a wonderful job cleaning Timmy and getting rid of some of the peeling skin on his hands and feet before I got there. He looked much better.

And I was able to get a picture of Lori too! She was working with the baby behind Timmy in this picture so I asked her during a break while she was charting and things were quiet.
She was nice enough to take one of me with Timmy too! Probably should take more of these. And definitely some with James when he is able to make it in. Timmy looks so big to me in this picture! He actually lost 2 ounces, which is not a bad thing because he has a lot of edema and really needs to be able to get rid of the water weight. Very much ready to have my little guy back without the bloating!
But he does still look cute, with or without swelling. Working those hands back up. He's definitely the winner of the "which baby has the most hair at birth" award. Everyone else has just had peach fuzz!

Timmy just being cute and a quick scan of pod one in the old NICU. Timmy got the hiccups right before this but I missed them. Yes, they're very cute!

No comments: