Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Callie's Cast Comes Off!!!

What a crazy time we had three weeks ago! Callie got her hard cast on the same day I had my first contractions. So glad that I was able to come home that time and that James was able to take her in.

Even more glad now that she has her cast off now. It was a funny experience to get to watch her. Usually she's quite the little social butterfly, but not in a big room full of people she doesn't know. We took Ahne (her elephant) so be a comfort to her, as I thought the saw might be a little stressful for her. This was her reaction during the whole thing. Just a little quiet trepidation. I'm really not heartless, just took this picture and snuggled her.

The tech who took her cast off cut it on both sides with the saw.
And then pried the hard sections apart.
There is also a thick layer of cotton underneath that they just cut through with scissors.

Nothing a thumb and a stuffy can't get you through!
I did warn him that there would most likely be a beach inside. Callie LOVES the sandbox! She will play in it for hours by herself. Not just ours. She's played in the Dutson's sandbox and the Merrill's. Doesn't matter if she has anyone to play with or if the cover is on. She knows what a sandbox looks like and that there's nothing like watching sand trickle from a teapot into a cup.

A better shot of the inner layer.

I did warn him...
Callie was so patient waiting for the radiologist to take us back for the x-rays.
The tech gave me some wipes, but the sand was crusted on pretty well and I think it was hurting more than helping so I decided to leave the sand for the bath.
I thought her tan line was really cute. Good thing it's not mid-June!
And her x-rays.
The doctor told us that her foot is healing really well. She broke the first metatarsal (the bone just below her big toe) and you can see that it's pretty bright white. That is the new bone that she has been laying down over the last 3 weeks. Her foot is still continuing to heal, but the doctor assured me that she is fine and within months you wouldn't be able to tell that she ever broke her foot. They said she might wince a little at first and would probably walk a little funny.

Not a single look of discomfort on the way out the door. She did walk a little differently, adjusting for the sudden weight difference on her foot, but was running around like she'd never even had a cast on by the time we got home!

No comments: