Wednesday, June 23, 2010

NICU Night #62 - 2 Months Old: Resting from Reintubation

Monday, June 21, 2010

After a long day, it was nice to see Timmy so relaxed when I returned Monday night. It took me a little while to get back in, but I couldn't miss celebrating Timmy's 1.5 hours off the ventilator. Melissa introduced me to Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches in honor of the momentous occasion. Don't get me wrong, I have seen them plenty of times in Costco, I have just avoided them because they look way too much like something to which I could very easily become addicted and not be able to avoid throwing in the cart in the future. And boy was I right! (Must avoid Costco...)

Timmy received his 2-month immunizations from Michelle. Melissa hates giving babies shots so she trades for poopy diapers. Works for me! I decided to pump at that time too because I had already seen Timmy go through enough that day. He was perfectly calm by the time I returned and ready for a good snuggle!

He was very peaceful the entire time I was there. In fact, all the babies in the room were. It was very nice. Melissa, the resident, came in as well and we talked a little more about the next step for extubation. As it stood, with Timmy's abdominal surgery scheduled for 6/24, we all agreed it would be best to give Timmy a rest, have and heal from his surgery and then have Dr. Parry work on getting the tube out. She said that his upper airways still looked good. He was back on the same vent settings - very, very low - so there was still no really good reason he shouldn't be able to pop right off the vent with Dr. Parry's help.

I only stayed until 1am. Too many nights thinking I would just stay until the 2am cares, change a diaper, take a temperature and be off turning into nights of bradys, desats, bags off, etc...and not leaving until after 3am had definitely taken their toll and I figured it would be better to cut out early. I know Melissa will call if anything ever happens that she thinks I need to know about or be there for.

Weight for the night was roughly 5 lbs. 1 oz.

No comments: