Wednesday, June 9, 2010

NICU Night #49 - Breastmilk and Steroids for Extubation

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Definitely call for s'more celebrating today!

I haven't experienced the kind of giddiness I felt last night in a long time.  Yesterday was Bridgette and Daniel's wedding and it was so nice to be able to be there for their sealing as well.  We headed up to the temple around 9:30.  Feeling a bit tired as always, but James was driving so we were fine.  Sealing at high noon - beautiful

- pictures right after in the 100+-degree heat and the dilirium started to hit.  Being tired and standing out in the heat are NOT a nice combination!  Lunch with everyone in the air conditioning and then home.  I remember thinking more than once on the ride that I was so glad that James was willing and able to drive.  I was so tired I kept falling asleep while I was pumping and trying to knit.  (Why didn't I just sleep, you ask?  Because I cannot get comfy in a car and every time I did start to fall asleep, I would wake up because something started hurting.)  I kept thinking of calling the NICU but then I figured I would just wait until we were home but things got super busy and I wasn't able to.  I do wish I had, but then I might have just been antsy to get over there.

Around 9:00 last night, we got a phone call from Lisa, one of the NNPs, who was in charge of Timmy last night.  She wanted to update us on a few changes for Timmy and had only good news.  No, not good news, FABULOUS news!  The surgeons had given the okay to start trying Timmy's tummy on breastmilk so he was given half formula, half breastmilk (10mls formula, 11mls breastmilk) q. 3 all day yesterday and tolerated each feeding like a champ!

The second wonderful thing she told me is that Timmy's vent settings have only continued to drop so the doctors have decided to try giving him steroids (1 dose q 12 for a total of 4 doses) to strengthen his lungs and try extubating him after either the third of fourth dose.  We are all feeling pretty confident that he is going to "fly" this time. 

He did so well during our time together last night.  He really kept his sats up well even when we moved him.  His heart rate dropped a little at one point while I was holding him, but Melissa and I are thinking he just got too comfortable because he was completely relaxed in my arms.

His feedings went up to 22 last night and I never saw a residual.  So, so happy.  I think the good news also helped me to pump more because I was able to collect 2 ounces at both my pumping sessions at the hospital last night.  So nice to walk back into Timmy's room and hand over a completely full nursette bottle.  Can't wait for that ventilator tube to come out!

I'm trying hard not to get too excited, as that is the curse of the NICU.  High highs and low lows.  But with so much good news all at once, it's a little hard not to feel euphoric.

Timmy also had another big diaper last night.  He was getting a little squirmy the first time I held him and his ostomy bag was feeling a little large as well so we put him down to change his diaper and clean out the ostomy bag.  His diaper was very full.  His body is starting to recognize that it needs to get rid of the excess fluid on its own.  He has been a bit puffy since they took him off the Lasix a few days ago and it was nice to see some of the edema gone.  He weighed 5 lbs. 5 ounces last night and 5 lbs. 6 ounces the night before.  Definitely going in the right direction at this point.  He is probably right around the 5 pound mark now but, as has been the case since his surgery 4.5 weeks ago, his weight fluctuates so much it's hard to tell for certain. 

I got to clean out Timmy's ostomy bag last night for the first time.  Gross, but nice to feel like I can do one more thing for him and not to have him have to wait for someone else to clear it.  Eager to have Timmy's intestines reconnected, but one thing at a time.  Don't want to overwhelm the poor little guy!

After we got him all changed and cleaned up, Timmy started opening his eyes.  Soooo wonderful to get to see them again.  When he was first born, we saw them a fair amount but most days since his surgery, he has been either too tired or his eyes are swollen.  The nurses tell me it's pretty common for vented babies not to open their eyes very often.

Melissa and I celebrated all the good news and stellar performance with another round of s'mores.  I think we're going to get a reputation around the NICU and people are going to start just happening to stop by later at night when they know I'm there when Melissa is on.  Timmy is already known for self-extubation.  Anytime I pass someone in the hall who was even there the nights of Timmy's extubations - whether they were in attendance or not - I get the look like "Is it still in there?"  Yes!  But not for long!

No comments: