Saturday, June 5, 2010

NICU Night #45

Friday, June 4, 2010

Another late one.  We had family stop by and it's so nice to get to visit and watch the kids play with their cousins; just didn't get out until almost 10:00 last night. 

It was nice to walk in and see Jenny again.  She hasn't had Timmy for a while.  She has the sweetest, most calm demeanor that I can't help but think she has to be a great influence on the little ones.

She told me that he had been pretty agitated earlier in the evening.  She had almost given him another dose of Ativan but ended up discovering that he really likes to feel a little pressure on him.  He responds well to having something to push against or feeling just the weight of something like a beanie baby or a Zaky hand on him.  She put one right on top of his belly and he calmed down immediately.  He looked so peaceful when I walked in, I never would have guessed.

Timmy's hematocrit was up to 39 yesterday morning, looking stellar.  Pressure setting on the vent was dropped to 18.  I think they are still going to wean slowly so every notch down is a plus.  Feedings were supposed to go up to 14mls at 8pm (he's been consistent at going up 1ml q 12 hours since they started feedings again), but he had a residual of 5mls so Jenny gave that back to him plus another 7mls, keeping him at 13 for one more feeding before trying to increase.  She thinks it may have been due to the fact that he was laying on his left side and the stomach empties on the right.  Maybe some pooling.  Happy to report that everything was gone at his 11:00 feeding and she was able to give him the full 14mls.

We had a very nice hold last night.  He did cough a few times and had the hiccups again.  He's had them at least once or twice every night this week.  So wish I could hear them!

But I really can't complain right now.  Troy and Bessie were there last night and and he asked how Timmy's doing so I asked how their little ladies are and he responded that Katie is doing really well.  I said, "And Andrea's just hanging in there...?" and he just shook his head.  After Axel's episode on Wednesday night, Andrea had a spell as well.  She is now hooked up to more monitors.  I believe they have her on another ventilator.  I don't want to pry and don't want to share their personal info, but please keep little Andrea in your prayers as well.  I know she's having a very rough time right now and they could all use a few more angels on their side of the room.

No comments: