Monday, June 14, 2010

NICU Day #55 - Moving Right Along

Monday, June 14, 2010

Another nice day in the NICU.  Thank you so much to Sister Gary for watching the kids for us!

Bridgette was able to go with us this morning.  Even though she and James made it to the NICU by 9:15, we all missed rounds this morning.  I would definitely be getting frustrated with myself if I wasn't getting to have one-on-one rounds with Melissa every other night!

Cassie was with Timmy again.  I'm not sure she's his primary, but she gets him all the time.  If she isn't I hope she is.  I really like her.  She's so sweet with Timmy.  I love the way she says, "What's going on here, Peanut?" when he desats instead of telling him to knock it off or something like that.  She's the patient kind of person I would trust any of my kids with during their worst days.

She caught us up to speed - feedings still going well; vent settings still the same; doctors planning a repeat extubation attempt either the end of this week or the beginning of next after he's had a few days on full feedings; the skin around the ostomy is still raw, but looking much better (this while she was talking to Victoria, the ostomy expert).  She has also had Timmy at 21% oxygen on the ventilator as well.  Usually he lasts a few hours and then needs to be bumped back up a bit (~26% or so) for a while and then can come back down.  That's been the case at night as well.

I pumped just before his 11am cares and Cassie told me that I only have 8 bottles left in my bin!  Hooray!  So exciting to see him getting to use milk I pumped way back in April.  They give it a freezer shelf life of 3 months so we still have another month before they expire but I was honestly starting to get worried.

I also got to see Karin again today and catch her up on Timmy.  She was out sick two weeks ago (during which time her son totaled his car) and then on vacation last week in La Jolla.  I had been wondering why we didn't get to see her anymore.  Glad to have her back.

Timmy seemed pretty irritable this morning.  Contrary to what you would think, he would desat when we would rub his head or touch him.  I think with three of us there, it was a bit too much stimulus.  Cassie said that he's usually very peaceful and satting well when nobody else is there, outside of having his cares done.  And when no one was touching him, his sats did stay in the 90s.

She took his blood pressure right before I left and it was also interesting to note that he's also malcontent without something wrapped around him.  He LOVES to be swaddled.  She and Melissa are excellent swaddlers.  Before I left Jenny the other night, he was very squirmy - arms flaling, legs kicking, screaming into his tube - and I asked if I could swaddle him, he always seemed to like being burrito wrapped.  So she picked him up while I slid the blanket under and we got him all tucked in and he was instantly still.  It's amazing how fast he calms down when you figure out what he wants/needs.  It really is instantaneous.  He can go from screaming to still in a heartbeat.

Cassie told me that she has had a couple of nurses tell her that he's been irritable almost their entire shift and she'll ask if they tried swaddling him - no.  No more complaints.  Not sure why that doesn't occur to some people.  Love that burrito boy!

1 comment:

Becky said...

i am really surprised they didn't think to swaddle him - both my girls loved being swaddled, and they even taught it in the hospital birthing class we took. so glad it works for him too!