Thursday, February 3, 2011

Landon & Callie's Third Birthday

I know we all say it, but it's true!  I can't believe how fast time flies!  It really doesn't seem possible that Landon and Callie can be three, but they are!

Great news - I found the camera cord (hidden right where I suspected it would be in the mess under the computer desk.  *Sigh* Someday I'll get to that spot...) so I actually have pictures for this post.  Truly, what's a birthday post without pictures?

My dad came down Saturday to hang out with us, run a couple of errands and bring gifts to the twins.  He needed to be back for church on Sunday so we let the twins open their presents from Grandma and Grandpa Saturday evening.  Landon was thrilled!  He went to town pulling out the tissue paper.
New trains are a treasure to behold. 
(He's slept with Bash the engine every night since!)
This was a new set of tracks - complete with elevated mountain - to go with it.
Trevy and Landon immediately set to work testing the trains.
Amazing how toys can really bring siblings together.
Alas, Callie missed her nap, all on account of her mom wanting to take her to the store to pick out the Disney princess she wanted for her cake.  I kept hearing "Snow White." "Cinderella." "Belle."  I just didn't want her to be disappointed so I figured I would let her pick the doll.  Not once did she mention the name, but her choice turned out to be Ariel.
Go ahead, you can say it.  James thought she was rather risque.
For my part I said, "Hey, she's a mermaid!"

Landon has been really into Cars lately so I made him a Lightening McQueen cake.
Nothing terribly exciting.  I really wanted to do a 3D train cake but didn't get around to looking for the pan until it was way too late to order it online and JoAnn didn't have it and I didn't have the time to look at any other stores.  I think Landon was happy with his cake anyway.

At least that's what I figured this look was for.
Yes, please note his yellow left arm.  That's not iodine, folks.  Please learn from my mistake and follow Sara Tip #487 - When needing to tint frosting to decorate a cake, always do so while kids are asleep and put the food coloring away before they wake up.

Alas, I have a horrible track record for decorating cakes up to the last minute.  I really am trying to make them farther in advance.  This time was only half my fault.  I baked Callie's cake Friday night.  Apparently I didn't grease the pan well enough because it came out in about three large chunks.  Having used two cake mixes to fill the darn thing, you can imagine this didn't make me any too happy.  But, being the resourceful individual that I try to be, I decided I could just make it into a mountain instead and put some of Landon's trains on it.  Brilliant!

Not so brilliant when, about an hour later, I heard Landon banging away in the kitchen and James walked in to tell me he didn't think I could salvage the cake anymore.  Landon having taken my decorating spatula and sliced the cake to ribbons, I had to agree.  At least it gave us all the excuse to have some cake.  Who wanted to wait until the party anyway?

We had family (the Merrills and Barnetts) and friends (the Tunnells and Melissa) over for a baked potato bar, cake and ice cream after church.  Good times had by all!  Especially the birthday twins!

Who doesn't enjoy watching the candle blowing technique?


I'm sad this picture isn't clearer.
I think Landon has the cutest expression on his face!

Unlike this one.
Really, Mom and Dad?  Clothes?  Where are the toys?
Why can't you be cool like Grandma and Grandpa?
At least Callie liked hers.  But she loved to dress up.  Period.
Trevy kept waiting for her presents, but she was a good sport and gave Callie hers.


A Play-Doh Cake Makin' Station.  See we're not all just about clothes...
(For the record, Landon got a GloDoodle.  The pen is already missing, but it is still usable and a huge hit with anyone who comes over.)

Our neighbor, Melissa, came over Monday morning and got Callie to repeat her singing from the day before.  The girls were watching me decorate Ariel and just couldn't resist...
How cute is that?

Oooooh, yeah!  Bustin' out with the cake makin' station.  Melissa was kind enough to help the kids get going.  The girls had been begging but I hadn't even had a chance to feed Timmy and Monday is trach change morning.
I love their patience in waiting.

The bling is courtesy of Grandma and Grandpa Taylor.  Lest I leave you wondering what they gave Callie.  She fell asleep right as Grandpa was getting ready to go on Saturday and even the thrill of a present wasn't enough to entice her to wake back up for a few minutes before he left.
Fun, fun birthday!  Just can't believe they've done this three times now...

2 comments:

Sarah and David said...

Aawwww... Happy Birthday Landon and Callie! Great job on the cakes Wendy!

Jenner said...

Yay!!!! Happy birthday! Awesome job on the cakes. You continue to amaze me Wendy.