Sunday, February 20, 2011

Timmy Tidbits: Visit with the Surgeon & WEIGHT GAIN!!!

We had another visit today from Timmy's therapist, Kindra.  She comes to help me work on Tummy Time movements with Timmy.  Since he was born right after my third trimester began and then was intubated two weeks later and not allowed free range of motion for two months, he missed out on some neuronal stimulation that normally takes place at that time so he needs certain types of exercises to help his little body become aware of its abilities.  For instance, he is now almost 7.5 months, adjusted.  Most babies his age are rolling over and sitting up.  He's not quite there.

Happy to say that Timmy has finally learned how to roll from side to side over the past week.  He recently became interested in the Tigger sitting in the far corner of his crib and now he instantly turns that way when I go to suction or change his diaper.  He also rolled completely from his back to belly (not quite to being propped up on his arms, but we'll get there) for the first time this past Sunday (2/13) and then once again Monday night.  This is HUGE for him.  I couldn't wait to tell Kindra!  Glad it wasn't a fluke because she got him rolling pretty fluidly from one side to the other tracking toys.  (Which also indicates that his visual and auditory systems are functioning properly as well.)

It's been a while since I did any Timmy updates.  He saw Dr. Peterson, our wonderful pediatrician, on January 27th (3 weeks ago tomorrow).  At that time he weighed in at 10 pounds 4 ounces, losing an ounce over the previous week.  Fortunately she didn't ask me to sign any papers or anything in regards to putting in a feeding tube, just showed me his growth charts.  Length and head circumference still parallel normal growth lines, albeit it still below the 5th percentile. Weight, on the other hand, has started to fall away from the curve.  Not drastically at this point, but we also discussed means of increasing his caloric intake.

One week later, Timmy received his third Synagis injection.  So far, that has been the coldest day I have ever spent in Tucson.  Literally.  We felt the cold snap hard.  Unfortunately, the Honda did too so we were down to one car for the week and I had to get up early with James that Thursday (2/3) in order to have the van to take Timmy to his appointment.  We saw the temperature on the way to his office at 7am - 17 degrees.  I  know that's not cold to some of you, but for those of us who live in the southwest so we can wear shorts and play tennis outdoors year round, that's a bit much.  We just considered ourselves fortunate not to have any pipes freeze or burst and to have run a load of underwear the night before, as our washer is on the back porch.

I only bring it up because that was likely the only chance Timmy will ever have to wear his snowsuit.  Isn't he cute?!

The hand is Callie's.  She was going to carry Timmy to the car for me, lest I forget him.  ☺

At the pulmonologist's office, Timmy weighed 10 pounds 8 ounces.  Not great, but an improvement.  He did well with the shot. Sure helps to be able to just nurse him right after.  Everyone there is so nice.  They never make you feel rushed and give you time to comfort kids.

That afternoon, however, did nothing to promote the warm fuzzy of the morning.  Timmy had a routine follow-up with his surgeon, Dr. Cosentino.  One of the residents came in first and did a quick exam, asked how Timmy is doing, if I have any questions, concerns...the usual.  She seemed a little concerned that Timmy doesn't poop every day.  It's my understanding that that changes around three months of age and differs from child to child, with some, particularly breastfed infants, being able to go days between bowel movements.  She said that sometimes they advise giving a little apple juice to help promote regularity.  Honestly, I really have been paying attention.  Timmy is one happy baby.  Never an indication that he's having any more problems with his digestive tract and he is pooping, so why mess with what I consider success?

I think Dr. Cosentino took this information, combined with Timmy's lack of weight gain the week before, to mean that he isn't getting enough nutrition.  And she may have been right.  I was relieved that she said that they don't like to put in feeding tubes, but less than thrilled to feel like I was starving Timmy.  We had been giving fortified bottles every night to that point.  I was nursing every 2-3 hours during the day and Timmy never gave any indications that he was still hungry.  We had had some success with weight gain on the single fortified bottles and I was trying to get him to take rice cereal.

(Continued two days later.

It's weird to continue a previous post, as my frame of mind is usually vastly different than when I started, but I wasn't ready to post this on Thursday.)

Anyhow, I left the surgeon's office feeling terrible.  And kind of desperate.  I was needing instant weight gain from Timmy.  I wanted to get home and start shoveling food in.  Since then, I have tried to feed him from a spoon at least twice per day and continue to give him an extra bottle at night.  (However, I ran out of the formula we had been using for fortifying and started using the other sample from the pediatrician.  Even at very small amounts - like 1/4 tsp mixed with 2 ounces of breastmilk, he won't take it.  He'll drink a little and then just refuse the bottle.  So I have decided to leave out the fortification for now and just get him to drink the extra two ounces.  Nothing quite so disheartening as to wonder if you're producing enough milk and watch as precious ounces just go to waste.)

The Friday one week after seeing the surgeon (2/11) felt like Christmas.  Timmy weighed 10 pounds 12 ounces - a gain of 8 ounces in two weeks!

And the good news just went from there with the rolling.  He's getting a little more hair on his head and definitely looking older.  He has also outgrown most of the newborn clothes now.  Strange how that makes me sad.  It's hard for me to watch my babies grow.  Amazing and fun, but hard at the same time.  It's been this way with all of them.  I love having little babies.  I love to snuggle them, to nurse them, to bathe them, to dress them, to play with them, to carry them, to watch them sleep...  They are such miracles.  Literally.  I count my blessings daily that I have been able to get pregnant and stay pregnant three times and to bring four healthy babies into the world.  It's been anything but easy, but so very worth it.

And, though I wouldn't wish it on anybody, PPROM has made Timmy's story all the more incredible.  I feel so lucky to be his mommy.

Waxing emotional here.  Time to post some pictures and go to bed!

Timmy has recently discovered his tongue and the joy of sticking it out.
 Such a cheese!
 And a big boy who can hold his own bottle!  (Happy day to discover early on that breastmilk storage bags can also be used as inserts in the Playtex bottles.  Just thaw, warm, insert, screw nipple on tightly and voilá!
 Not sure where he came up with this idea, but he likes to grab my cheeks and "eat" my nose.
 Current cracker favorite - Keebler Multi-Grain Club crackers.

 Still loving the exersaucer.
 This picture gives a better idea of how only one foot can rest on the ground at a time.
We've given him a phone book to stand on to practice standing.


 Yes, he's very advanced.  =)

 We tried out one of the twins' booster seats...
 That didn't go very well.  Too wide.


 It lasted all of about 5 minutes.  He hated it.
 But he didn't mind kicking back at the computer.
Even found a footrest!

He also likes the high chair, but I'll save some pictures for the next post!