We had a great first day in our new ward. At first, it seemed like we were in for a long battle. The twins didn't nap very well in the morning and in spite of church starting 3.5 hours later than we were used to, we barely made in on time. The chapel was very full and we were thinking we would have to sit out in the lobby. Suddenly, Sister Law touched my arm and invited us to sit on the front row with her family. (They have 5 children.) So we did.
Landon was pretty much fit to be tied. He just wanted down and wanted to go. We were able to occupy his attention with little toy cars, lotion, snacks and the hymn book (somehow we'd forgotten to include any other books or quiet distractions in the diaper bag) through the sacrament. He was starting to become disruptive so James got set to take him out. At the same time, Trevy told me, "I want to go potty." Perfect timing. So James took the two.
The speakers were wonderful. I loved the story one of them shared about Sister Lavina, a 36-year-old mother of 8 who gave and gave until she literally had no more to give. At one point, all but 4 of her children had contracted the flu. This was in the early decades of the last century, thus more dangerous than one would think now. Anyway, she took in laundry to help others who were sick and finally ended up contracting the illness herself and passed away. What a woman!
The other speaker spoke on taking care of those around us and not judging. We should give generously and not judge those who are worthy. That is for the bishop and the Lord to decide.
There was also a special musical number. Our new bishop is Rex Woods, who just happens to also be the vice director for the school of music for the U of A, was the accompanist. He is a phenomenal pianist. (Incidentally, I have actually played for him before when I was trying to get into the music program at the UA to take piano lessons.) His wife is a trained opera singer. She and a few other ladies sang, "How Great Thou Art" and did a great job. But the sweetest thing of all was that as soon as they started, Callie climbed into my lap, popped her little thumb in her mouth and just snuggled in for the entire duration. It was so sweet to get to hold her like that. I have really missed that and am grateful that we have some callingless time where I can spend some time just enjoying the kids at church.
She fell asleep right after and slept clear through Gospel Doctrine - apparently Landon did too! And it was such fun to take her to Relief Society, which I haven't been to in so long I can't remember. I sat next to Dawn Sheree Lunt. She has a 3-month-old named Colt and told me she also has a 22-month-old in the nursery. Everyone in that room just seemed so nice, so in the same position where we all know a fraction of the people in the room, but no one knows everyone. Even the original ward members don't know most of the people. I think we are all eager to jump in and get to know each other and pull together as a ward.
One other funny item - during Gospel Doctrine, we all introduced ourselves and one man got up and introduced himself and his wife as Aaron and Allison Topping. His name rang bells in my mind and I started trying to figure out why. Turns out he was one of the high school students I taught tennis to during my few summers teaching grassroots tennis at Sabino High School! What are the odds?!
Overall, a wonderful Sunday. We'll be gone for the next two, but very much looking forward to getting to know the new ward.
No comments:
Post a Comment