Thursday, August 25, 2011

Timmy Tidbits: First Signs, Sit-Ups and Another Tooth!!!

I started this one over the weekend but never got a chance to add more than a title!

I started checking out the Signing Time videos from the library sometime in mid-July.  I grabbed all five available because you never know when something will be there again and I never know when I'll have a chance to make it back with time to peruse!

Wouldn't you know, the first time I popped one in I was met with many loud protests.  I tried a few times to get the kids to watch the videos, but was entirely unsuccessful.  So sad.  I had really wanted to try them because, at this point, Timmy isn't able to say any words and it didn't seem like his sounds were changing a whole lot so I wanted to give him something, some form of communication so that, should he indeed end up with a speech delay, at least he'll still be able to communicate.

(Alas, another visit from the NICU follow-up nurse, Deanna, on Monday - she weighed Timmy and the scale didn't go above 16 lbs. 13.5 oz., even with his clothes on.  So, in spite of all the wishful thinking, it's really looking like we're not going to be getting a surprise decan in 2011.  But that's okay!  Steady weight gain and he should be at least 22 pounds by the time RSV season is over next spring.  In the meantime, we'll still keep working with the passy-muir valve and signing.)

Finally, one night when everyone else was asleep but Timmy just wanted to play, I brought him out to the living room.  And then it hit me - there was my chance to check out these DVDs.  I loved them!  Lots of songs, lots of repetition but not too many signs as to overwhelm the kids.  I ended up watching two while I played with Timmy and then a third while I picked up the living room.  (I took a semester of sign in college so the basic signs were all familiar.)  I showed the kids a few signs the next morning at breakfast.  They thought it was interesting.  But what REALLY got their attention was when James came home from work a couple of days later and showed them a few more signs.  Guess Dad's cooler than Mom.  (I guess I left a DVD in and James checked it out one morning while he was working out.)  In any case, the kids now love the DVDs too and any time I bring on home, Alex and Leah get three cheers!

That's been over a month.  I've been signing to Timmy and watching him laugh at me in response for weeks now.  Finally, last Thursday (8/20), he showed me his first sign.  Like a lot of little boys' first word: BALL.  (Yes, it looks like the sign for "more" when he does it, but we know what he's signing.)



The kids and I were watching Baby Signing Time yesterday and he started signing HAT so now he's up to two words!  So much fun!  I'm so excited that he's catching on.  It will be really fun when we're having conversations with our hands!

Monday was also another first for Timmy.  (At least that I saw.)  I laid him on his back and he flipped to his belly, reaching for something, and was then able to push himself to a sitting position.  So proud of how far he's come!

Kindra came to work with him again on Tuesday and it's just amazing what Timmy can do compared to a year ago.  Last August, we were just working on massage, stimulating his legs, encouraging him to even attempt to roll...and now he's sitting up, scooting, pulling up...  We're currently working on getting him to reach to his sides using his trunk instead of turning his body to face objects head on.  Still encouraging him to crawl as well in order to build neck and arm strength.  He has worked his way into a crawling position a few times today, even tried moving his arms once.  He's just not sure quite how to coordinate the movement yet and he's such a speed scooter that I think it will take a little while before he converts to crawling.  (Not that I mind.  I LOVE his little scoot!  Cutest thing ever!)

And, since this one is all about Timmy and the new things going on with him, he added another tooth!  (Maxillary right central incisor - upper middle right.  =)  )  He's had a bit of a rough go the past two nights so not exactly sure which day it broke through.  One of the moms at preschool (yes, that's another post) asked me how many teeth Timmy has, as her 11-month-old has 4.  I responded, "Three."  Then I went to change Timmy's diaper and looked in his mouth and, sure enough, I had lied, "Correction.  Four."

Yesterday was super hot.  Amy told me there is a heat advisory.  Apparently they are only supposed to be about 104-108 this times of year and they are expecting temperatures in the neighborhood of 114-degrees in the Phoenix metro area.  (We're only about 5-10 degrees cooler.)

Timmy would not go down for a nap, no matter what I tried.  I also tried to get the kids to play games with me or go swimming.  I got them to color with me for a while and strew Cootie pieces all over the living room, but they weren't getting along so well - go figure - and I was tired so we went for another short video - How the Grinch Stole Christmas - and I gave Timmy a bottle and he finally fell asleep on me.  (Then I wished I had put in a longer video...)



Melissa came over last night after everyone went swimming and Timmy went for her phone.  After having him call someone over at her house, she figured that wasn't the best toy for him and took it away.  He has the cutest little sad face!
 And you can finally see his two bottom teeth!
 Markers - bringing joy to the lives of little people everywhere.

2 comments:

Jenner said...

Love the library! The first time I ever went I was like "how much it is?" I couldn't believe it was free!

Congrats Timmy on new tooth and the signing. That's so awesome. I've been singing more with Lochlan and he's able to sign it...although sometimes it looks like he's clapping. But I know what he wants. And he's pointing now too! I'll write you a message hopefully later tonight. : )

Unknown said...

Good job Timmy! He's getting so big! So glad he's learning how to do things, I don't think he'll be far behind for long :)