James headed out on a Thursday afternoon, as he usually does. And, as we usually do, the kids and I had a movie night. I got them ready for bed a little early and put in Toy Story 3 (borrowed from the library), laid out a few old towels, passed out the Fudgesicles and let the fun begin!
The kids periodically find the little play tent and tunnel my Aunt Teresa gave them for Christmas last year. That was one of those weeks. The tunnel had been dragged to the living room and, before I knew it, even Timmy was going through it! He loved it! The lighting isn't the greatest, but here he is!
| "Wearing" Callie's flip flops. Another favorite pastime. |
In spite of getting to bed at a fairly reasonable hour, we still didn't make it out to Amy's the following morning until 11:00. (I don't recall now, as it's been over a month, but I think I had a few night wakers that night. Not safe to force oneself to get up early when you're the only driver and really don't have to be there by any specific time.)
I stopped and grabbed some lunch for the kids and took it to Amy's, as we reached San Tan Valley just after 1:00. The older kids all headed straight back to play so I was able to focus on getting Timmy fed. Amy was right in the middle of listening to the Melaleuca spiel. The guy was nice enough, but it really bothers me when people insist that they aren't a pyramid scheme like such-and-such when they clearly are! (Kind of like the magazine salesman who came to my door today. "You don't have to buy anything, I just need some help to earn points." Look, buddy, you have no idea how much I'd love to go to Venice too and if I'm spending any money - "The check won't clear for two weeks." - for one of us to go there, you'd better believe it's going to be me! Scariest part of the whole thing was that this was the first time the kids were able to get the front door open by themselves! Nothing like hearing, "Is your mom or dad home?" to get you running! Yes, they have been informed that they are not to open the door for anyone, obviously unless I know who it is.)
The Melaleuca salespeople get credit for presenting their information and, as Amy was mildly interested at that point, I listened for her. I don't like committing to purchasing a certain dollar amount every month. Sure, I'm happy to try new products - cleaning, hygiene, whatever - but I'd like to sample without committing to a lifetime of purchasing.
Ironically, not long before this, I was running out of Windex. My windows and mirrors were screaming for attention but there was definitely not enough for more than two small mirrors and I wasn't about to make a special run to the store for more. Mind you, I have always liked Windex, but my sliding glass doors have always had this film on them. Even after I tried scrubbing them down with Dawn first! Figuring someone out there already had a homemade version, I got online and found the best glass cleaner ever!!! (Since it appears that someone has just changed the header photo on that blog and it's one I really don't want all my friends to look at, please just give Crunchy Betty credit for providing this recipe and don't click the link.)
**********
Alvin Corn Homemade Glass Cleaner
(Which comes from ALcohol, VINegar, CORNstarch)
- 1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
- 1/4 c. white vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 c. warm water
Combine everything in a spray bottle, and shake well. Shake well before using, too, as the cornstarch might settle at the bottom (and subsequently plug the spray mechanism if it’s not mixed in well).
Judgment: It’s the best. It wins. We’ve covered this. But let’s look at one more VERY important thing: Cost.
This is all approximate (and I’m erring on the side of expensiveness, so it’s probably less than this), but I think we can agree that I’m probably close on my estimations:
1/4 c. vinegar = $0.20
1/4 c. rubbing alcohol = $0.25
1 Tbsp cornstarch = $0.03
2 c. water = virtually free, except for the water bill part, so let’s say $0.000001
Grand Total: $0.48
For an entire bottle of glass cleaner.
Not to mention, it’s completely nontoxic, you can simply reuse your old glass cleaner bottle over and over and over again (or you could paint a bottle, like I did mine, because it’s tres chic), and you’re not spraying nasty things all up in the air for your kids, spouses, and pets to breathe.
Go you!
Go Alvin Corn!
**********
Aaaaaand back to the blog. Amy was also recently given a recipe for homemade laundry detergent. I don't have that one, but I figure that there are plenty of natural homemade recipes out there - for free! - that I already have what I want, need and use.
It was already getting late - about 4pm - when all was said and done. Lisa had come over too and caught a fair portion of the sales pitch. She wasn't sold either. But we did get some cute pictures of Anistyn and Timmy.
Bless Amy for still being willing to take on Hobby Lobby with me with, gulp, seven kids in tow! The main purpose of my drive up to Amy's was to hit Hobby Lobby with her so she could continue her vicarious redecorating of my house. How this works is that I take pictures so she can get a good feel for the room and she calls me back with what she would do if the room were hers. I have discovered that interior design is not a talent I possess. My sincere thanks for the sweet friends who have recently been over and complimented me on my home decor. Truly, it was all Amy's idea. I can put things up - I'm handy with a power drill, level, measuring tape, screw anchors, etc. - but what I end up with rarely turns out the way it looked in my head when I'm the one coming up with ideas.
It also turned out that Amy had been looking for a double stroller and I still don't want to permanently part with mine just yet but find it has been taking up a lot of valuable hauling room in the back of my van so we used this outing for me to show her how it sets up and folds down.
| Such cute kiddos! This whole outing would definitely not have been as successful without Makayla! |
I love Timmy's sweet little smile!
We spent way too long (but, fortunately, not way too much as everything was 50% off) in the store and ended up pulling into the Wendy's in the parking lot for dinner. Everyone piled into our car so we could have air conditioning and the kids could watch a movie while they ate.
Some of my favorite new quotes from Hobby Lobby are:
- I'm not bossy, I just know what you should be doing.
- Money can't buy happiness, that's what shopping is for.
- My husband and I are doing a workshop. He works and I shop!
- I would be unstoppable if I could just get started.
- If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your wife told you.
- First god created man then he had a better idea.
- This one I really need for my kitchen:
- And the husband who was an aisle behind Amy and me and told his wife he could "just take a picture and make the same thing at home" himself!
Always nice just to spend time with Amy and her family. The bad part is that it's so hard to leave that we always leave late. On that particular Friday night, that meant 9pm. Which means we got home at 11pm and I got to unload the car all by myself. Saturday was brutal. Bridgette was my angel. We had planned on doing a movie night while James was gone and Daniel had to work, but she came over early too to help entertain kids and then ended up giving them a bath and braiding the girls hair for me.
I love having her close by and so appreciate her ever present willingness to jump in and help. Thank you so much Bridge! Definitely could not have made it through Sunday without her and Daniel either! As my blinkie says, "Family is Everything."
Here's to fun-loving sisters!
No comments:
Post a Comment