Sunday, September 4, 2011

Addendum to Sleepless Nights

Another moment definitely worth staying up for!

Timmy has now woken up about 2-3 times since I originally put him down.  This last time, I made him a bottle and he downed it while I was going through recently imported pictures.  I went to make him another one and he fell asleep on my shoulder.  This is a precious moment to me.  I love snuggling kids with their heads right where I can kiss them without having to move them.  Where I can rub my cheek on the softest hair in the world.  Where I can hear them softly breathing in my ear, so content, so at peace.

I can still count the number of times I've held Timmy asleep this way on one hand.  In the NICU, we did Kangaroo Kare with him snuggled under my chin.  Precious memories of Timmy's first two weeks of life.  After his initial surgery and subsequent intubation, it was hard to hold him that way with the tube down his throat.  Eventually it just became easier to hold him in my arms.  After he was trached, there was always the fear of blocking the trach with him on my shoulder so I don't think I ever put him there, even to burp him.  And that's just the way things have been.  So the few times he has fallen asleep on my shoulder are little treasures from Timmy.

*****

Here he is modeling the afghan I finally finished the other night.  Such a sweet little happy guy!



(In case you're wonding why the mobile looks weird, someone was playing with the elephant.)

No comments: