Thursday, September 8, 2011

My First Preschool Lesson! And Sweet Watermelon!

Unbelievable - Landon woke up last night before Timmy finally went down and both boys wanted to be held.  It was a tag-team affair until about 1am and then I was woken up to...I'm not sure.  I think it was the sound of James putting his weights away.  At 6:30.  So I was up before my alarm.  Which was a good thing because that gave me time to make the house a bit more presentable before company arrived.  (Many thanks to Bridgette for helping me get on top of the living room yesterday.)  Alas, it didn't leave me enough time to make sure all the kids were awake and Landon was still asleep at 9:15.

All in all, I think the lesson went well.  Carrie put together a list of possible topics for each month so I chose the color red.  We started out looking at the color red in the color book Timmy got for his birthday to see what kinds of things can be red.  Then we read "The Red Lemon". 


Such a cute book!

Then we learned the RED song.

 R-E-D RED
R-E-D RED
R-E-D SPELLS RED
R-E-D SPELLS RED
FIRE TRUCKS ARE RED
STOPS SIGNS ARE RED TOO
R-E-D
R-E-D


I do believe I may have changed a word or two in my head.  In any case, the kids can spell red.  I heard the song a few times during preschool and my kids kept singing it afterward!  (A special thanks to Sara for telling me about the color songs.)

I wanted to have watermelon for a snack but James hadn't been able to find any the night before.  (I found a couple today and they did move them so...)  Why have James pick them and not just get them myself?  His are always better than mine.  I just don't know how to pick them.  (Or so I thought, but I'll get to that!)  So we had red nectarines and cinnamon graham crackers instead.

The kids have all shown interest in using scissors since day 1 so I thought this would be a fun time to let them have a go at it.  They each got a sheet of construction paper to use as their picnic blanket and glued a paper plate to it.  Then they cut red food items they like from last week's store ads and glued those to the plates.  It was a rather mediocre activity.  I was going to have them add fingerprint red ants tomorrow but, meh.  I think we just need more practice with proper scissor technique.  (At least in our house.)

The natives were starting to get restless and it was already after 10:30 by then.  However, I had stayed up making a red construction paper stop sign and green light so we HAD to play Red Light/Green Light.  The kids loved it!  Everyone got a chance to be the light and then they each got to pluck an egg out of the roost.  (I know, really doesn't tie in but fun anyway.)

The time really went fast.

It was then naptime for Timmy.  I think that preschool is helping our kids' creative juices flow so that they don't want to watch movies all the time.  They wanted to color




and play with the little camera that Dillon left on Monday.  (Turns out it was the best Eegee toy ever!  Amy doesn't want it, but this one I'll actually let the kids keep!)  They love Robots.  So the person with the camera would copy Fender saying, "Work it, work it" or something to that effect, and then the other person would say, "But I don't want any pictures."  "You don't?" "No!"  Complete with vocal inflections.  I LOVE it! 


Then the kids and I went to the library to find the book I want for tomorrow (I know, ultimate in procrastination! Honestly I have been trying but I haven't been able to get all my thoughts together.) and then we went to Frys to pick up a couple more things for dinner tonight with the missionaries and watermelon!  We had one tonight with the elders and it was a good one!  I'm still so proud of myself!  Usually I pick the bland ones.  Hooray for me!

Timmy found an empty bean can in the recycling to entertain himself while I made dinner.  So cute!  (Opened with a safety opener.)


Silly tongue!
Daniel and Bridgette saved us again.  James ended up not getting off until just after 5 so Daniel picked up the elders.  He also kept a lot of the conversation going at dinner.  Have to say that it can sometimes be hard to keep from just repeating the same questions over and over with the missionaries so it was very nice to  have him here to keep things going!

Bridgette got the kids dressed for bed and told them some more bedtime stories while I bathed Timmy.  They love hearing her versions of Goldilocks and the Three Bears and Hansel and Gretel with themselves as the characters.  As a thank you, Trevy treated Bridgette to a self portrait.



I'm sure she'd be happy to take requests!
Bath, bed, clean up the kitchen (I love waking up to a sparkling kitchen...) and put finishing touches on my preschool lesson for tomorrow and I'm off to bed!

1 comment:

Clarisa said...

you are a crazy lady! i can't believe all you do. love the safety lid opener too, (once had a baby get her hand trapped in one not safety opened and she ended up with a cut on her finger.) love the red song. thanks for sharing.