(Finally recorded 11/3/2010)
I took the kids out to Vail to Zach Dutson's 3rd birthday party. We had a great time while we were there. Can't say so much for the drive. Even writing about it months later, I get chills thinking how tired I was on the freeway. On the way back, I was praying my heart out to make it home without falling asleep. I was exhausted. On the way there, we were stopped at one set of train tracks and while we were waiting for the first train, another one past on the set of tracks behind us. Such an interesting experience to be stuck between two passing trains. I could see one through my windshield an one in my rearview mirror.
They simply cannot resist destroying crepe paper curtains. But they are cute!
The birthday boy!
The amazing cake made by Zach's father, Tim.
The vocals.
Tim cut the letters out of fondant. Someone has waaayyy too much time on his hands!
Really not me. Callie's hair went pretty fast. But so cute, huh?
My kids love cake! Well, at least the frosting.
I had only seen Vivien once or twice before but her primary had gone home that day and none of Timmy's or Axel's were on so we got to have her. Jessica had the other little girl in the room.
Vivien's own son had been a preemie and lost one of his kidneys. (So wishing I had blogged this night sooner because I can't remember why.) I know that has been hard for them. He can't play soccer or football because the kidneys (for some odd reason I do remember this from my anatomy classes) have no bony structures around them to protect them, hence the "kidney punch" being so effective. At least he can play tennis! Vivien and I talked about playing someday. I hope so!
I truly had intended to pump and leave at 1:00, already past due for pumping, but Mary Ann came in to visit and she's so much fun to hang out with. (Alas, not into social networking so we only get to see her now when we go in for visits. Luckily, she's been there both times!) She is a scuba instructor from Oklahoma. Yes, no typos in that sentence. She had recently been to the Caribbean (if memory serves) and had some amazing photos on her phone. Apparently she dives with a friend who is a marine photographer. The friend had let her use one of his/her (I forget) cameras and she had taken an amazing shot. In exchange for allowing the friend to claim and publish the photo, the friend allowed her to have a number of others that he/she had taken.
Lots of picture viewing, lots of chatting, lots of stories. Mary Ann got to name a little grouper that tailed her around while she was there. I don't remember any of the other suggestions, but she had called it "Mini Me" and the name stuck.
She again explained baby hematocrit to me. I just couldn't quite grasp (going to claim sleep deprivation slowness) why Timmy kept needing transfusions and, if they were such recurrent events, how we were going to wean Timmy off them. Red blood cells are produced in the bone marrow beginning at 6 weeks. The blood transfusions signal the body that there are enough blood cells already and shut down the signals for the body to produce more for another 6 weeks. In addition, the frequent blood draws also reduce the number of blood cells, thereby producing a low hematocrit.
No change in weight: still 6 lbs. 7 oz. Feedings increased from 18 at noon to 19 at midnight. Jenny had been called in on day shift and Timmy's scalp IV had occluded so that was being removed with mineral oil. Vivien kept Timmy's scalp super-slicked so the needle was out shortly after I put him down and hardly any tape remaining by the time I left.
I didn't make it home until 2:45am. One of my most memorable nights in the NICU. Still counting down the days to Dr. Parry's return.
Sweet sleeper in his cute froggy jammies
Sure love this boy!
Mary Ann with "her" Timmy.
He is the cutest thing ever! (At least since Landon.)
Love the sleeping laughs.
He has never really had a double chin. Just double fluid.
Vivien and Timmy.
No comments:
Post a Comment