Last night was rather anticlimactic after Wednesday night's magic. Timmy had a new nurse, Jonelle. She has never had him before. She was feeding another baby when I came in around 10pm so I had to wait to hold Timmy. Having not been able to take a nap yesterday and going on only 3 hours of sleep (why do kids insist on waking up even earlier - like 6:30! - when you desperately need them to sleep in?) make it hard to hold Timmy for very long last night.
He had a good day. He had a 2ml residual with the first feeding and nothing after that so things looked good from a feeding perspective. Vent settings were unchanged but Timmy was doing a lot more of the breathing. Jonelle hadn't heard anything as far as scheduling Timmy's appointment next week with Dr. Parry so I will try to talk with a nurse practitioner if his nurse tonight doesn't know either.
Jonelle also brought up the possibility of an oral aversion once the tube is out. (She's not the first.) Honestly, I can appreciate where the nurses are coming from and that they are just trying to prepare me, but I think there are some things I would rather not worry about until they become a problem. Timmy loves to suck on things so I'm hoping that having had the ventilator tube in for 8 weeks now won't deter him from wanting to nurse.
We also tried to weigh Timmy without success. Both times the scale read 880g. He was born at 1070g so I know that one isn't right!
No comments:
Post a Comment