Thursday, July 8, 2010

NICU Night #77 - Transfusion

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Francesca had Timmy that night for the first time in the new unit.  She was one of the first to have Timmy but, I believe, became a primary for the Goercke twins and had them whenever she was on.  I was so glad to get to see her again.

I arrived at 10:15 that night and saw Timmy before I saw her.  I was a bit shocked, to say the least, to see an IV in Timmy's scalp.  He was receiving yet another blood transfusion.  This time his hematocrit was 27.  (Again, it should be around 40.)  This was his fourth since birth.  He has had them almost every 2 weeks like clockwork since his NEC surgery.  Apparently, red blood cells don't begin to form for about 6 weeks after birth.

There was a lot of growth from Timmy's tracheal cultures and indication of granulation tissue growing around the endotracheal tube.  Quite beside myself having to wait for Dr. Parry to return from vacation.  So desperate to have Timmy extubated.

A great night snuggling my sleeping boy.  The only downside was that it made me sleepy too.  I wanted to have another great conversation with Francesca like we did the first night she had Timmy but my brain kept falling asleep.  She did look up and read the report from Timmy's cultures to me.  Really not the most definitive.  She said that it was "possible pneumonia" and I saw BPD (bronchopulmonary dysplasia) on the screen as well.  This is very concerning, particularly because it's quite a serious diagnosis, and disheartening to think this has all been caused by the intubation.  I wanted to cry.

Timmy went up to 14mls at noon and 15 and midnight.

Vent settings for the evening.
Sweetest boy in the NICU.
Couldn't wait to see this face without the tape!




You know you've been in the NICU for a while when security no longer asks you for a name band because they recognize you.  I was waved through that night the minute I walked through the door!

No comments: