Monday, February 23, 2009

What a Weekend!

Saturday started out as one of those days where I could only think of the list of things I would like to be doing but couldn't quite work up the motivation to actually be doing any of them. Thus, this would be the reason that Trevy had only just made it out of the shower by 10:00 when our sweet neighbors, Denise and Dorian, brought by their gigantic bubble maker to show Trevy (or Trevalina, as Denise likes to call her.)


The twins were down for their morning nap at the time, but when they woke up Callie put on a show with an old cell phone. Soooo cute! She'll use anything now - my favorite is computer mouse (though hunting for it and the batteries afterward leaves a little to be desired) - as a phone. She holds it up to her ear and says, "Ah?"

How precious is this?!
Auntie Bridge came over later in the afternoon to study for her test on Tuesday (yes, that would now be tomorrow - good luck, Auntie Bridge!) and then she helped all three kids saddle up for a horsey-ride down the hall. (Not sure how James was able to haul 75 pounds worth of kiddos, but he did!)
Sunday was a good day as well. I actually had my Primary stuff ready to go Saturday night. Okay, maybe very early Sunday morning. (Say around 2am.) If any of you are Primary choristers, please feel free to visit the Primary blog I co-author with some dear friends of mine as a place where we can save, swap and share ideas. (Please leave comments if you have any other suggestions for us or if you'd like to become an author of the blog.)

After church, there was a period of about an hour and a half where all three kids were napping. The twins went down around 1:30 and Trevy fought until around 2:30. They also woke up in that order. Not that anyone ever reading this would care, but it was a great afternoon for me. I got to sit and play the piano for a good half hour. By myself! Normally if I can even get to the piano, I'm playing a duet with about six sweet helping hands. It's been a very long time since I've been able to play and it was really nice to get that chance. (Not that the music was all too fabulous, a trifle rusty, oh well.)

At 6, we had the Tunnells over for dinner. I made one of my favorite chicken dishes that I haven't made in a while - Chicken Marsala. I have to say it turned out even better than usual. (Can't say as much for the french herb bread that never rose much, but we'll try that again another time. )

Following dinner, the guys got out Bang! The Bullet (FABULOUS game, although extremely difficult to get your hands on) while Erin and I gave the babies baths and got all the kids in bed. Guess they tired of it after two rounds because it was all boxed up by the time Erin and I were ready to play. But we got in on the action with Speed Scrabble. This is a fun one too: flip all the Scrabble tiles over (face-down). No need for any other playing equipment. Each player draws an equal number of tiles. (There are 100 tiles, so we each took 25.) Divide your stash into two piles. (We each had one pile of 12 and one pile of 13.) When everyone is ready, you flip over one set of tiles. (We started with the pile of 13.) When someone has all of their tiles linked in crossword fashion, they say, "Done" and everyone must flip over another tile. This is repeated until someone has all of their tiles linked in a crossword. At that point when they say done, everyone else must leave their tiles where they are. You then count up the points on the tiles you have used and subtract the points on the tiles you haven't used. (You should decide beforehand how many points you want to play to. We usually play to 500 and then start all over again.)

Today was much like Saturday - plenty to do, just no motivation to do it.

Bridgette came over for another study session. (Can't remember the last time I made it out the door before 9am. I was just barely starting on breakfast when she got here today!)
We are also big-time in the throws of naptime shifting. Landon and Callie used to nap at 9am and 1pm for about two hours at a time. Now they'll usually try to go down around 10 or 11 for about three hours, if I'm lucky. Or unlucky (as was the case today). Because if the morning nap is that long, there's usually no afternoon nap, but there's definitely a meltdown around bedtime, which we're working on moving up to 7pm. All this has also thrown Trevlyn's normal 1:00 naptime off as well. I have an extremely hard time even attempting to put her down when the twins are both up. She'll usually hop out of bed and I may be able to put her back once, but the fight usually ends there because I have two other little cruisers dangling from my pantlegs.
But we still had a fun family day and got some cute random pictures of the kids.


No, I don't condone kids sitting on the door of the dishwasher, but Landon is so cute when he climbs up there!
I will stronger-willed from now on. (Especially if he's going to keep picking the forks out of the utensil holder!)
James is working on his annual garden. This year he's going to try putting his tomato plants on a drip system. He got all the helpers while I made dinner.
(Callie is eating the piece that attaches to the hose. It's only funny because James couldn't find it later and asked if I'd seen it. Why yes, yes I have.)

This is the only picture I have before Trevy came to help me instead.
All in all, a fun productive day. For James at least. Wait a minute, I do have a blog post to show for it!

No comments: