Monday, November 14, 2011

Timmy Tidbits: First Solo Step!!! And the Chore Chart

It’s been a long day.  We were half an hour late to preschool again.  I hate being so late.  Well, late period, but I’d take five minutes late over half an hour!  Sorry Carrie. 

Just seemed like every time I turned around the kid I had just finished getting ready was stripped down, taking his/her shoes off, couldn’t find/wanted to change his/her jacket, needed to go potty…  The joys of having multiple little people.  I’ll keep them.  We’re just going to try setting everything out the night before tomorrow.  One way or another, I have got to find a way to get there on time!

After the 5th Sunday Priesthood/Relief Society message given by our bishopric last month focused on teaching our children, I have decided to renew my efforts at giving them chores.  Today marks the one-week anniversary of the chore chart.  Happy to say that I have actually had help this past week.  It definitely takes longer and isn’t usually as perfect as I would like, but I find that our house IS somehow getting a little cleaner (maybe because at least one kid isn’t making a mess while I’m cleaning), the kids are learning to clean and I get to spend quality one-on-one time with each child.  For now, I’m keeping it simple.  I think that’s where I’ve been frustrated in my efforts before.  Rather than assigning a child to “clear the dishwasher” and eventually ending up unloading it all myself, Trevy has had the task of putting away the silverware.  It will eventually become the dishwasher (I hope) but she can now put away everything in the silverware holder.  Landon is obsessed with vacuuming so, although that ended up in Callie’s wedge of my circle for the week, he has probably done it at least as much as she has.  His assignment was swishing and swiping the bathroom.  (Yes, that’s FlyLady speak for swishing the toilet and wiping down the sink.)

We then moved on to their bedroom, which has been neglected for about two weeks now.  My plan to motivate them by hiding a few pieces of their Halloween candy in the mess didn’t go over so well.  Mostly Landon just went on a treasure hunt.  But we did get the floor almost completely cleared before Timmy woke up from his nap.  Not sure what brought it on but Trevy, Landon and Callie all were out with James when Timmy decided to just stand up in their room – he’s been standing without assistance, not pulling up on anything for a week or two now.  I held out my arms and said, “Step, step.”  And he did!  Usually he just smiles.  He’ll dance a little with his arms or clap his hands but today was his first real step.  And he did it twice!  So proud of him!

He has also acquired tooth #8 over the past week.  (Upper left lateral.)

The weather has cooled off considerably so I’m now putting shoes and socks on him and he LOVES it!  I got him to sign “shoe” for me yesterday.  Alas, his “shoe” looks a lot like his “more” and “ball”.  All in context, my friend.

Such a stellar little man!

5 comments:

Karen K. said...

Hooray for Timmy! Watch out - he'll be running soon.

Jenner said...

Yay Timmy!

Love the idea of a chore chart. Hmmm....I think you may be on to something! Abby just may be in charge of silverware too!

I love that I can get super ideas from you!!!

Unknown said...

Yay for Timmy!! Just in time for me to come see! Unless you post a video first... Justin & I have tried the chore chart. Sadly not too successful for us. Our house just looks like we have children.

Clarisa said...

yeah, hiding candy in my room would lead me to go on a treasure hunt, too! clever idea, though, when it works. cool that timmy is walking. they grow up so fast, don't they?

Jennifer Green said...

I love that you labeled which tooth it is! You are too cute.