It was then my turn to stay with the kids while James went to help Bridgette and Daniel finish their move. Being the fabulous people they are, they had a lot of help and James was home by noon. A quick lunch, quick sticky floor mop and it was just one of those great days where we were getting a lot done and getting a lot done with the kids. Landon and Trevy helped me make burritos for lunch. Afterward, Trevy went with Melissa to help feed a friend's cats and I took the twins with me to get ice and a few other last minute supplies for our spontaneous family barbecue.
As I was walking toward Fry's with a small hand in each of mine, one of the women who work at Fry's was obviously on her cigarette break, leaning back against the wall by the carts and asked which one was older. I said, "He is. By five minutes." Then she asked how far apart they are. (Guess she missed the "five minute" part.) So I told her they were twins. Her response, "You've got your hands full!" almost made me laugh. (Taking two kids without a diaper bag is nothing compared to taking one infant with a diaper bag, emergency bag and suction machine!) I didn't tell her there were two more at home!
We had a fabulous cook-out. Melissa let us use her grill, backyard and pool. Both the Merrill and Barnett families came and we had a great time.
Ribs were on a Buy-1-Get-2-Free sale at Albertsons this past week so we decided to try our hand at grilling some. It's kind of intimidating to spend a good chunk of money on something you really aren't sure you know how to cook, but who can resist a BOGTF? Kudos to James and Melissa for a job well done! (No pun intended. =) )
The kids helped me carry the plates, napkins, cups, etc. over.
Then Landon grabbed the camera. I was able to get each of the kids a pair of flip flops for under $2 at Savers. They LOVE them! Definitely makes life easier when you don't have to wait for Velcro or laces! (As long as they don't get lost...)
I set Timmy on a towel with some toys to play with while we set up. I love this All-American baseball outfit!
Apparently the watermelon liked it too. (Gotta love Resolve!)We have THE BEST neighbors! The Mogges found this lunchbox and gave it to Trevy as a kindergarten present. (Still up in the air on that one. More and more I'm leaning toward possibly an in-home (not my home!) preschool, but I know James would still really like to have her in kindergarten. The biggest issue there is her birthdate.) In any case, all the kids love this lunchbox! I had to put it on top of the fridge in the hopes it will make it to August!
As I was standing in line to get food, I was holding Timmy and he discovered the joys of wind chimes. This is probably my best hold-the-camera-out-in-front-and-shoot video ever!
Cousins picnicking with their chips and bunless hot dogs.
The grill master!
The meat lover. You'd better believe those ribs weren't just for the adults! Landon is all man when it comes to meat. He loves steak, chicken, ribs... Watch your plate!
Uncle Daniel attempting to relax with his adoring miniature fan club.
A little sisterly love. I love Vivi's face!
Sweet Olivia.
Callie has a bigtime crush on Uncle Daniel. When we were at the temple last Saturday for Jon's wedding and walked over from the visitor's center to join everyone else, he was the first person she looked for. (Sorry Jon.)
The original Brimhalls.
Uncle Derek and Olivia.
Timmy liked the ribs too. At least the barbecue sauce! (I had to save the shirt from that one!)
Such a sweet moment. It's funny how babies love babies. Olivia just wanted to play with Timmy. So cute!
The Merrills brought over their fire pit and we had a great time roasting s'mores for dessert.
The trick was to keep the kids from walking around inside the ring of chairs.
Our kids are addicted to marshmallows. I kid you not, one bag of large marshmallows doesn't go far in our house! I have no idea where they get that from... (Sara, they were mini marshmallows...totally different. ☺)
Uncle Derek is a toast master!
I give you...the perfect s'more. Note the golden toastiness on that marshmallow! Most impressive!
Hmmm...how did we run out of marshmallows? ;-)Did I mention Landon is all boy? Yes, that means he is also a pyro.
Not the greatest watermelon, I'll be honest. This was one that I picked out. I don't know why, I just can't seem to pick good ones. James always gets such red, juicy, sweet watermelons. I can usually get a red one, but there's no flavor. Just blah. Oh well. At least the chickens aren't too picky.
Trevy's technique is to just catch the mallow on fire and blow it out.
Note the technique here. I'm certain it's all in the rotisserie motion. (Okay, probably more the positioning, but rotisserie is such a fun word!)
We only had three official roasting sticks so Melissa got another couple from her mulberry wood pile. Hilarious, the kids decided to help themselves. Landon dragged out a branch the first time and Olivia was right behind him with a twig!
She was so tired - what a trooper!
Another one of Derek's perfect marshmallows. Note toasting stick number 2 in James's hand. I think Landon was trying to upgrade. I don't think the kids quite understand that 8 inches just isn't long enough.
Auntie Bridge and Timmy. It was getting a little chilly so he needed another outfit to cover his cute nakedness.
I love this shot of Madi and Vivi. Such posers, but I love the hair and the smiles!
Yvonne with her girls.
Hoping you know us by now! =)
Callie found the lunchbox unmanned while we were cleaning up. She loaded it with an empty 7-Up can and a napkin.
It's nice to live next door when you have this much stuff to haul. Much easier to just line the fence and walk around instead of carrying it all home!
It was a great Memorial Day. And, lest we forget the reason we celebrate Memorial Day, our heartfelt gratitude to those who give their all for us to enjoy the freedoms we have. Both of my grandfathers served in the Armed Forces. So proud of them. In memory of the fallen:

1 comment:
Looks like a fun day!! And I approve of Jaime's shirt :)
Post a Comment