Friday, May 27, 2011

Timmy Tidbits: The Food Log

I know, I know!  This blog really is dedicated to our entire family, not just Timmy.  I have several other posts that I'm trying to find time to put together for the other kids, just busy!  This is just a quick one to keep up with Timmy's progress.  (Not to mention that it's not as much fun to blog when you don't have a camera and ours was broken a couple of weeks ago by Landon and me.  I've been hoarding Melissa's, but that comes with a lot of guilt because then she can't take pictures.  Just got the new one in the mail yesterday so I'll see if I can't whip out a few more illustrated posts this weekend.)

Tuesday was another visit to Dr. Brown, the pulmonologist.  I have finally decided that taking the latest appointment possible for the pulmonology clinic is better than hoping that a miracle will take place and we'll be able to get everyone ready, three kids to Tawna and Timmy to his appointment on time any time earlier.  So we were able to waltz in at a few minutes to eleven, no problem.

The nurse called us back pretty quickly for Timmy's weigh-in.  12 lbs. 14 oz.  She didn't seem to sure on his weight, going back and forth with the conversion chart, but I'm sure she's fairly accurate.  However, I was getting Timmy at 13 pounds even here at home with our bathroom scale.  He has definitely grown longer, measuring 25 inches now.  She didn't tell me his head circumference, but I know our kids are all blessed with generous noggins.

Apparently the weight wasn't all that impressive.  Considering that he weighed 12 lbs. 1 oz. at the pediatrician's office on his birthday a month ago, yeah, 13 ounces isn't a huge gain over the course of a month.  So we are now keeping food log for the next few days to track what he eats and how much.  Timmy loves table food.  A couple of months ago, we had the elders over for dinner and were having grapes on the side and I picked one up and he grabbed my hand in both of his and shoved the grape in.  He started not eating as much of the smushy stuff and it scared me a bit at first but then I realized it was just because he wanted texture and to feed himself.  Give him a bowl of macaroni and cheese and he's in seventh heaven!  He didn't eat a whole lot yesterday but he had a half a waffle this morning for breakfast!

Milestones are still tracking fairly well, although Lochlan has taken a commanding lead!  Timmy likes to get to his feet now when offered fingers.  He doesn't pull up on furniture yet, probably because he can't get to it.  I have been trying to be more diligent with tummy time the past few days and he seems to not mind it as much now.  He was even moving around a little, albeit backward, this morning.  Our greatest obstacle right now is an over-affectionate older brother.  Landon loves to hold and squeeze Timmy.  He loves to play with his little brother.  It's so sweet but not always the most helpful, (or most desired, from the little guy).  No teeth yet, but he's gnawing on fingers, his and everyone else's.  One of the funniest things that he's taken to doing is playing with hair.  When I'm nursing, he'll reach up and rub his head and pull the hairs through his fingers.  His little blond tufts have finally started coming in and I think the feel of them is still a novelty to him.  He also enjoys pulling/playing with my hair.  He's fallen asleep more than once just holding it.  It really is sweet.  I think it's like a comfort blanket to him to feel hair between his fingers.

Still not quite sleeping through the night but we've had some longer stretches as of late.  Usually naptime isn't so stellar either - I get maybe one hour and a half in the middle of the day on average - but today I got four hours from Timmy!  11:30-3:30.  I kept checking on him and he was sound asleep.  Taking this as a sign that he's hit a growth spurt.  (Thank you, Melissa, for taking the other kids swimming so the house stayed quiet enough for him to sleep so long.)  He's been down for a good four hours now already.  Maybe tonight's the night we start sleeping through the night on a regular basis.  Oh please, oh please...  (Hmmm...Callie's been the one up at 2 the past couple of nights so I hope she gets the message as well!)

It's just harder to function on less sleep but I'm getting more these days so I don't feel nearly as incoherent as I once did.  Even made it to the grocery store this evening.  I've been needing to go for a while now.  We've been living off of whatever we already had for close to a month, I'd say, supplemented by James's random stops for bananas, watermelon, milk and a few minor items.  It's been nice to use up some of those I-don't-feel-like-that-tonight items that have been waiting their turn for too long but our fridge was pretty bare.  I was hoping for a quick trip to the store but, while I've been gone, they've been remodeling the store and all the aisles were changed.  The remodel isn't finished, but it's definitely going to take me a few trips to learn the new location of things.  As it was, it took me a good half hour longer than I'd hoped to find everything.

And today's most memorable moment was this morning when Callie came crying to me.  Apparently Trevlyn had told her no for some reason and her "feelings were hurting."  =)

No comments: