Things have gone really well with this pregnancy so far. This little man has continued to measure within a couple of days of his due date, although about two days behind on the last few, as opposed to right on for all previous. Fluid levels are wonderful and cervical length remains in a good range. I also discovered while finishing off The Hunger Games late at night a couple of weeks ago that nighttime is when he's super active. He starts the show around 10pm and just keeps on going!
4/12/12 - 20 weeks 6 days
Just another routine visit. That day I only had Timmy with me. Dr. Maciulla had a medical student with him. I wish I could remember her name because he made a joke about her following him around and he didn't even know her name! I want to say Megan, but it really doesn't matter. What does is that he told her I had refused the progesterone injections (which we were planning on starting at 18 weeks). I told him that I hadn't refused them, I had merely said I didn't want to take them but would rather have the shots than another preemie. He got me the prescription and a sheet with addresses of local compounding pharmacies. It seemed a little ironic that I had never been to one until after Timmy came home from the hospital and now I was going back 18 months later!
4/19/12 - 21w6d - the first time with everyone; progesterone #1
There was a lot of nasty flu stuff going around that week. Carrie kept her girls home from preschool and Abish had texted that they were also affected. Trevy and Timmy got the flu on successive nights right after Easter and I wasn't too enthralled with the idea of being up all night again cleaning up foul-smelling bodily fluids. So I opted to just take all the kids with me.
My appointment was at 11:15. One of the drawbacks to later appointments is that you run the risk of your doctor running late. Such was the case that day. He was running half an hour late. The waiting room was pretty full. We found a corner and Timmy found a little friend with Little People toys. She was so sweet. She let him run the little car all over our half of the waiting room.
There were a couple of other little girls sitting directly across from us. One was a little older than Trevy and the other was a little younger than the twins. The older girl became very interested when we used the color of her shirt in our I Spy game so we let her play with us. We also read The Monkey with a Bright Blue Bottom that I had used for me last week of preschool and the kids had fallen in love with. I hadn't expected to have to wait so long and feared that I was sorely unprepared with books, but we had just enough to make it until about 11:45, just as we were called back.
Dr. Maciulla made all the kids chicken heads. They loved getting to see the baby on the screen and blowing out the "fire". (The setting for blood flow shows the blood as red and blue.) They had a great time!
In spite of the long wait, it was a great visit. I received my first progesterone shot. It really didn't hurt at all! Callie almost started crying. She's so tender-hearted when she knows someone is getting a "pokey" but I think it was good for her to see that they don't always hurt and mommy was okay. Once she saw that I wasn't crying, she was fine.
I was so proud of my little kiddos. When we returned to the waiting room and had to wait again to schedule another visit, I received at least two compliments on how well-behaved my children were. Nothing makes a mom so proud. They really did such a good job!
4/26/12 - 22w6d - the rest of the big ultrasound; progesterone #2
Baby was much more cooperative this time. Trevy, Landon and Callie got to play with the Stratton girls. Timmy got to hang out with Rosario (Dr. Maciulla's nurse who has seen me since I was pregnant with the twins). A quick obstetric visit is one thing but an in-depth ultrasound is completely another. The rooms are tiny and full of equipment that shouldn't be touched by little hands. Not to mention that it's nice to be able to focus on the baby on the inside for a while without having to watch the babies on the outside!
Little man measured right on. Three-vessel cord, four-chamber heart, perfect lengths all around...and one big head. Sounds about right. I think he was right around 10 ounces at that visit.
![]() |
| Baby's profile, with 3-vessel cord |
![]() |
| Hand to forehead - It's just all too much! |
![]() |
| Baby being squished by the placenta. These shots always look so weird to me. |
![]() |
| Sweetest little feet. I remember how small Timmy's were when he was born and can only imagine how tiny these little feet are! |
5/3/12 - 23w6d - another party! Progesterone #3
This was my 9:15 appointment. I debated on having Kim watch the kids or just taking them with me. I finally determined that, having the appointment as early as it was, it might be easiest just to take the kids with me.
Indeed it was. The kids did really well. They definitely earned their chicken heads that day. And, having been there before, they decided it was time to play with Dr. Maciulla. Landon told him a line from their favorite Amelia Bedelia book, "What in thunderation happened to my shirts?" Said, as Auntie Bridge does, with and English accent, which means no one can understand him. So I had to show everyone the book and explain what Landon was saying and the girls were laughing at. Then they hid behind the table while we waited for him to come in. Even Timmy likes to play chicken head volleyball with Dr. Maciulla. Honestly, I think he enjoys having all the kids. We had all had a great night's sleep the night before so it was a great morning to take all the kids.
Again, little man looked great on the ultrasound. Now weighing over one pound. Whether it was 1 pound 4 ounces or 1 pound 6 ounces I don't remember. First time I heard that he was breech.
5/10/12 - 24w6d - enough's enough; progesterone #4
One would think this visit would still be fresh in my mind from only three days ago. Truly, they're all running together at this point. I have had weekly ob visits for the past five weeks and biweekly visits for the previous however many it takes to get back to 12 weeks. I asked Dr. Maciulla if James could just give me the injections at home on the off weeks. He doesn't have any problem with that, as long as James feels comfortable giving them to me. Believe me, I know he's comfortable with it. It won't be the first time.
Not that I don't enjoy going out with the kids and watching them hide from doctors and getting all excited about chicken heads, but... If James hadn't been out of town yet again I would have already asked if we could do the injections at home. Not sure I'm up to sticking myself, though.
Stellar little man was measuring two days behind on the ultrasound. Not a big deal whatsoever. Dr. Maciulla commented on his big noggin as well. Yes, that has me a little concerned for the delivery, but not as concerned as I will be if he stays in a frank breech position. This is the first baby I have ever been told was frank breech. I know Timmy was sitting for a while and Callie was delivered breech. I wish I was as good at seeing things on the ultrasound but it was very fleeting to see baby's feet near his face. Honestly, that doesn't sound very comfortable, but maybe he's going to be a future Olympic diver. (Highly doubtful, as our families aren't known for swimming prowess of any sort.)
Lots of little prods and pokes all over now. Even hiccups during church this Sunday and last. Loving every minute of it!





3 comments:
Thanks for the update! Love seeing the pics.
Dr. Macuilla makes comments about all the babies' heads. That being said, I had a 4th degree tear after he commented on one of mine =(
Glad to hear it is going so well this time!! Praying for you whenever you come to mind.
Becky Varndell
so happy for you! :) :) :)
Post a Comment