Monday, March 15, 2010

First Steroid Shot

Well, my friends, I have officially hit 24w2d and that makes me eligible for the first round of steroid shots to help speed up baby's development. Honestly, after what I had heard I was prepared for a lot worse. The nurse warned me that it's a pretty viscous substance, but she was nice and took it slow so it really didn't burn too much. I can't even feel the injection site at all now and it's been about 6 hours. (Not numb, just no pain whatsoever.)

Probably the most painful part was that I was scheduled for the injection at 10. Somehow, there was a mix up in the scheduling and the nurses schedule didn't show my appointment being until 12 so we waited an hour and a half for the hospital pharmacy to get the injection sent up. Guess they can't store the betamethazone in the triage stash. The nurse assured me that they will send down a request at least an hour before I get there tomorrow so I won't have to wait. My plan is to call them about an hour before I'm planning on being there and seeing if they have it. I'm supposed to be on bedrest, not "sit on the hard hospital waiting chairs"-rest! I'm really not upset, I understand that things aren't perfect all the time, but it kind of scares me when I'm supposed to have my feet up and the best I can do is slouch!

Funny thing, the triage receptionist - bless her, she kept coming in to tell me what was going on - told me that they are going to hear it from my doctor. I guess he stopped by last Friday (my appointment was Thursday) and told them that they needed to have the shot ready because he didn't want me waiting. I thought that was really nice.

3 comments:

Audrey said...

I had to get a steroid shot with Greta. Not fun!

Clarisa said...

you are so brave. hope james gave you a yummy ice cream treat for being a good girl and holding still! still praying for you.

Wendy said...

He did! Thanks for all the prayers! I know that's what's keeping this little boy in.

Can't believe how close you're getting! I keep checking to see if you've posted on baby's arrival.