Thursday, April 16, 2009

Who Takes Three Kids to Costco?!

Yes, my friends, that would be yours truly. Fun times had by all!

My friend, Emily Dutson, called yesterday to see if the kids and I wanted to meet her at Costco again. (We would do that when each of us was pregnant and she would go with me right after the twins were born. So nice!) So we did!

10:30 we met in the parking lot. Really. Wasn't planned, we just ended up parking only a row apart and I saw her heading toward the doors as I was trying to convince Trevy to ride in the basket of the cart. I've recently taken her out shopping with me by herself while James is home with Landon and Callie and she's been good about riding in the seat of the cart strapped in and everything. (Honestly, there were some misgivings about her riding in the basket anyway so it wasn't a major issue.) But this is the first time I've taken all three kids somewhere without my stroller, attempting to use just the shopping cart. (Can I just throw in some praise here for Costco having carts that seat 2 kids? Could NOT have even attempted this without them.)

Callie is officially a walker now. Just so cute! I will have to upload some video of that one of these days too. But anyway, she's not quite big enough or fast enough for me to allow her to be the ambulating toddler so she and Landon got put in the cart first and I hoped I could convince Trevlyn to at least walk if she didn't want to ride in the cart.

Well, since Emily was already ready to go, I caved and carried Trevy to the doors and it was all downhill from there. In order to avoid a major scene, I just carried her around the store (let's hear if for hips!) and set her down when I needed to load big items - there is a coupon for diapers and wipes right now so we got 2 cases of each. Believe me, 50+ pounds of kiddos in the cart plus another 25+ on the hip combined with 4 heavy boxes drew some resistance from my arms and plenty of attention from other shoppers.

In fact, there was one nice lady who said, "Wow, you've got your hands full." the first time we passed. I then heard her comment to a friend at the end of the row that she's, "glad it's her and not me." So am I. We ran into her again a few rows down and she asked if they are all mine. Yes. Twins? Yes. At least she figured out that Landon is a boy. His hair is getting pretty long but we're holding out until we get the digital camera back before we start cutting. That will be a fun post in the not-too-distant future! (I hope...) And then we ran into her again and she asked how far apart the kids are. Fortunately, she was a really nice lady. Not that I wasn't still tempted to throw in some flippant remark about how the triplets are home with James or that I'm also expecting #4 (I'm not) just to see how she'd react.

We got home around 11:30. I've been working on getting all 3 kids on the same nap schedule for the past 3 days. Landon and Callie sometimes end up taking a long nap in the morning and then they don't take one in the afternoon or a very short one. So rather than continuing to hope that they'll take a short nap in the morning and a long one in the afternoon with Trevy, I've decided to move Trevy's naptime up and theirs back a little and hope for one good long nap all around. Although the twins have been exhausted by naptime, they haven't gone down for very long. Rather frustrating. Shorter than either of their usual naps. Trevy, on the other hand, is becoming a champion napper again. Once she goes down, she usually sleeps for at least 3 hours. Then I have to make sure to wake her up before too late in the afternoon or she stays up with me at night. (Not fun to be trying to do dishes and laundry and put a toddler back in bed!)

I haven't done much monthly updating for a while either so figured I would try to throw some in before I forget things and our adoring fan club (hoping at least family enjoys reading this!) gets left behind.

Trevlyn: Currently is in love with Snow White. She wants to watch it all the time. She's also becoming quite the eloquent talker. She loves to use her full sentences. Especially to say, "Trevy watch Snow White please?" She also loves to give the play-by-play of the movies and lets us know what anyone is doing and name things - "scared", "sleeping", "castle", "birds"...

She still loves the zoo. (Getting our zoo pass renewed is a must for the week!) She's gone shopping with me by herself a couple of times and the first thing she asks when we get in the car is, "Go zoo?" Of course promptly followed by, "Watch Snow White?"

Her favorite book right now is "Click, Clack, Moo - Cows That Type". It really is a cute book. She'll say the "moo" part. It's about some cows that find the farmers old typewriter and they leave him notes requesting electric blankets and go on strike.

Landon: What a boy! He beelines for any open door and has discovered that he can let himself out by pushing on the sliding door when it's not locked. He just loves to be outside.

He also loves water. The minute he's in the pool or the bathtub - or sees a toilet with the lid up - he's there and his hands are smacking the water as hard as they can. Last night we were finally able to use our bathtub again and he has just been in his element. Tonight he could hardly contain himself. Especially when he pulled the plug and I had to add more water. He and Trevy will literally fight over who gets to be under the running water.

He loves to clap, loves to eat strawberries and loves to climb in, under and around everything. I think Trevy's room is his favorite jungle gym. He can climb on and off her toddler bed without any problems. He also enjoys crawling under the changing table. (Both of the shelves have been collapsing under the violent shaking of 4 very helpful hands - Landon and Callie love to shake their cribs and the changing table so that it whacks the wall. Gotta love it! Consequently, I just removed the shelves to prevent further damage to them or the things that were on them.) The funniest thing was that Landon seemed to know when it was naptime today. I had just changed him and set him on the floor while I changed Callie and then I put her in her crib and came back for him and he crawled under the changing table as fast as he could. He even laughed as I was trying to figure out how I could pull him out. (The supporting rails are still there for the shelves.)

He is still my Guy Smiley. And loves to use his teeth! Four on top and two on bottom and he got me again today! I have new teeth marks two inches above the old set from Sunday. Not sure what he finds so appealing about my left arm... (Eat your heart out, Edward Cullen!)

He also loves to do flips and dips. I think he'd have a ball being a swing dancer - especially if he was a girl!

Callie is officially a walker. Hard to put an exact date on it. She still crawls some, but I think she prefers standing now. She even got brave enough to walk and drink from a bottle at the same time today. She will now fold her arms for prayers, loves to clap and blow kisses and will sign "more".

She is probably our least picky eater. (Although I don't think that's the reason she weighs more than her siblings.) She even eats green beans and black olives! Lately, if James or I are near her with a spoon of something, she'll open her mouth really wide. It's so funny. Her favorite way to show that she's finished eating is to start rubbing food in her hair. Especially fun for everyone when I've given them burritos. Thank goodness kids and clothes are washable!

As for myself, I'm still burning CDs. Yes, that is the official reason I am still awake at 12:30am. I'm not sure I want to stay awake long enough to finish them. Eight more to go.

As it's now April, I have determined that I need to get these CDs put together so they can be of use to the kids for our Sacrament Meeting presentation in October. Part of the holdback was that we actually get to choose two of the songs this year. But we have chosen and we're now ready to go!

And now I'm ready to go to bed!

2 comments:

Clarisa said...

cute wallpaper. Just blogged about my own story at costco. they must have the best stories to tell happening there. and the best samples. glad we are having good times together even if they are cities apart! :)

Jennifer Green said...

Fun to catch up on your cute kids! Love the shout-out to Edward Cullen. No wonder I'm still single...where are the vampires when you need one?