Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Tacos, Baby Giggles and Allowance

I have been reading my Facebook "on this day" happenings and it sometimes makes me sad because I used to write so much and I'm just not finding or making the time now. But I love reading fun little things about the past decade so I'm going to start trying to write something every night. I'll add pictures later as I can, but my parents gave us a nice new camera for Christmas and I'm still learning how to use it so there are a lot of pictures to go through and delete!

Favorite parts of today: first, it was REALLY cold. For Arizona, a high of 50 is cold. A lot of that is because we don't have the clothing for it.

I took Rachel and Wyatt to Ace Hardware to get some brackets with which to hang the family calendar I'm working on putting together. (Oh yes. This will need a picture later!) They had a sign with a cute picture of a baby chick on it advertising that they will have baby chickens soon. Wyatt was so excited! Even though he could see inside from where he stood, he wanted to be lifted up so he could see the chickens. He took it well when I lifted him up and repeated for the third time that the sign said, "Coming soon!"

We then proceeded to pick Timmy up. Our van is in a state of crumb-iness right now. And Wyatt added at least a bowl's worth of Honey Nut Cheerios this morning. (Of course, blaming it on Mom's driving. Forgive me, but I do have to stop and start at stoplights, son.) Anyway, Timmy climbed in, found an Apple Jack and popped it into his mouth. Wyatt saw him chewing and asked in his cute Wyatt way, "What are you eating?" And then to my entertainment, promptly added, "A taco?" Because who doesn't have random tacos laying around in their car...?

Rachel is becoming more and more responsive these days. She is so quick to smile for me and has been "talking" for a couple of weeks now. She will laugh on occasion when I tickle her under her chin, but I don't think she quite understands the feeling yet. The kids keep trying to get her to laugh and ask me where to tickle her. So hard to be patient! But she is growing like a weed! She definitely has some healthy baby fat. I like to call her my little butterball, but I've definitely seen more rolls on kids. She's just perfect! (And did I mention she is sleeping through the night? Not every night - she woke me up a few times last night - but I've made it through the night a couple of times without getting woken up.)

And last, but not least, allowance. We really need the kids' help around here. When they are all willing at the same time - which happens about as often as snow in Tucson - they are a force to be reckoned with. When no one wants to help, I might as well be asking their stuffies. Soooo...I decided to try a new tactic. I firmly believe that kids should feel some natural inclination to help. However, this isn't happening, so monetary motivation it is! However, I hate them asking me for nickels for every little job they do, so here's what I came up with this time for our older three:

Each child receives $2/week. I went to the credit union and took out $10 in nickels a week and a half ago. (Yeah, that whole thought that this could work for Wyatt and Timmy was kind of wishful thinking.)

I have told the kids that I would like their rooms and the bathrooms cleaned on Saturday mornings and as soon as those jobs are done, I will give them their $2. The bathrooms have been cleaned, mostly thanks to James, but he has dragged at least one of them in there with him both weeks. The bedrooms could stand a little improvement, but progress is progress, no matter how slow!

Each child has a cup with their name on it. This is their wallet, so to speak. I count out $2 in nickels with them and ask what they need to pay first. Tithing. How much? 20 cents. Correct. So we pull out four nickels. (The beauty of doing this on Saturdays is that there isn't enough time to forget whether or not they have paid their tithing or for accidentally having those nickels get mixed back in.) Then we split the remaining $1.80. Half to savings (they give me $0.90 and I show them on the iPad the transfer from our checking account into their savings, which is linked to our account right now) and the remaining 18 nickels go into their cup. During the week, if I want someone to put their shoes away, I will ask them if they would like to take care of their shoes or pay me to do it? So far, the older kids have all taken care of their shoes.

I'm not entirely sure what to do if someone keeps paying me to do their jobs. I think we will probably teach the kids about debt, but there will have to be an immediate consequence as well.

As we get going on this, I am working on getting a family calendar on the wall that also lists jobs for the week/month whatever we decide on so that they can be held responsible for those as well. James and I need help and our kids need to learn responsibility. Also that they will not be getting paid for every little thing they do. But they WILL be paying Mom for everything they should be doing for themselves but choose not to. So far we have: putting shoes away, clearing dishes and now (I washed everyone's sheets yesterday and taught them all how to make their beds) making their own beds.

I realize that $0.90 won't add up to a Barbie doll incredibly fast, but I am excited at the thought of them getting to purchase something with their own money. I am also planning on allowing them to earn extra money for certain other jobs in the future but, for now, I just want to keep it simple and consistent. I also want to take them to the store soon and let them buy something with their own money so they can see 1) that it is theirs to spend as they wish and 2) just how fast money can go.

As for the little boys, Timmy would be in the hole all the time. He doesn't really seem to care about money. He's better off being bribed to do homework or pick up with cookies or time on the iPad. Wyatt is enamored with nickels, but I don't think he gets that concept either. So I think both of them will earn a nickel every morning for making their bed and 20 minutes on the iPad for another job.

It's not that my focus is all about my house, but it is really hard to function in chaos. I wasn't able to hang my calendar today because I need the stud finder and the drill. Let's hear it for organizing the shed this year! And, hopefully, a few other things!

No comments: