Sunday, August 18, 2013

Oreo Madness in a Sheet Cake!

Madness indeed!

I was so excited to do this post - have had the pictures up for a while (hence the comment) and just haven't gotten around to detailing the steps to this decadent rectangle from heaven, something about school starting and life being life... Finally got it all typed up, went to add another picture and...now I get to type it all again.

My apologies for anyone who has been waiting longingly.  Here goes!

All you need is:

a pan - I love my professional 1/4-sheet cake pan because it is metal and has straight sides

wax paper - makes taking the cake out of the pan much easier

2 packages of Oreos - I prefer the family size because then you get a thicker crust

2 sticks of butter

1 gallon size Ziploc bag

1 half gallon of vanilla ice cream

chocolate and caramel sauces, chilled

*And a cute little assistant is always a pleasure.* =)

Line the pan with the wax paper and set aside.

Crush one package of cookies until no cream or large chunks of cookie remain.

While your happy little helper is working his magic on the cookies, melt the butter.

Combine the two in a bowl, stirring until evenly mixed.

Firmly pack the cookie crumbs into the bottom of the pan and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour.

Allow the vanilla ice cream to soften to a spreading consistency - DO NOT MELT! - and spread evenly over the cookie crust. Refrigerate until ice cream is firm, about 3-4 hours.

Crush remaining package of Oreos and combine with remaining stick of butter (melted). Firmly pack over ice cream. You will want to work quickly if you live in a warm climate as I do and it is summertime because the ice cream will start to melt and mix into your cookie crust. Freeze until firm. At least 1-2 hours.

When ready to indulge, invert the pan over a large cutting board. Let it rest just a few minutes to soften enough on the sides that you can ease it out by gently pulling on the wax paper.

Use a sharp knife to cut the Oreo Madness into serving portions.

Another cute assistant is helpful to have at this stage. =)

Drizzle with chocolate and caramel sauces, add a fork and enjoy! (Note: you can also drizzle the plate before adding the cake.) Chilled sauces leave a prettier pattern. If your sauces are room temperature, they just run all over the cake. Still tastes fabulous, but in case you were going for the fancy look...

This is one of the best creations of all time! It takes a little while to put together, but really so little effort and there is no way to mess it up!

*****

I recently made this again for a friend for her birthday and wanted the Oreo Madness to look more like Oreos so I used my 6-inch cake pan. As I only have one, I had to make one cake on Saturday and the other on Sunday to give myself enough freezing time. I only ended up using one package of Oreos, one stick of butter and half of one half gallon of ice cream. Thought it turned out quite nicely!


It's making me hungry!

1 comment:

Jennifer Green said...

I've never seen a wordless recipe before but this totally works! And your kids are so cute making it!