Trevy started kindergarten last Thursday at 8:30am. It was blazing hot. The night before, we had packed Trevy's lunch (after giving her her cute new Dr. Suess backpack and lunch box which, sadly, are pre-K size and can't even hold her take-home folder!) and she had her clothes all picked out for her first day. What a feeling! We were ready! The twins were really excited too so we didn't have much trouble getting to the school on time. The big problem was that little legs don't walk very fast and the twins are the same height as Trevy so I was constantly fearing losing them in the crowd of kids.
We arrived on the playground as the bell rang for the kids to go to class. The kids can line up there or Trevy's teacher had told me she could just come to the classroom. Since I didn't know which line to put Trevy in but did know where her classroom was, we just went that route.
As annoying as it is to other parents, I did get a couple of pictures of Trevy outside her classroom door.
She went right in and Mrs. Cardenas was waiting inside. She had her find her name on the cubby where her backpack will go and put her lunchbox in the lunch bin. Then I helped her find her name on a table and she sat right down. I was honestly happy that she didn't cling to me. Truly I love my kids and it makes me feel loved in return when they want Mommy, but sometimes it just makes life easier.
As we headed out the door, Mrs. Cardenas handed me a pink scroll of paper tied with blue yarn. (There was also a basket with blue papers.) I was trying to carry Timmy, my purse and the camera and appease Landon and Callie, who both wanted to stay and go to kindergarten. I let Callie hold the scroll, figuring that when we got back to the car would be a better time to read it then while struggling to lead three little kids back the way we had come.
I was so very glad I waited. Up until that point, not a tear. (I was so excited for Trevy. Still am. She's making friends and enjoying getting to show us her papers every day.) Until I read this:
The First Day
of Kindergarten
I gave you a reassuring smile
As you entered my room today.
For I know how hard it is to leave
And know your child must stay.
You've been with her for five years now
And have been a loving guide.
But now, alas, the time has come
To leave her at my side.
Just know that as you walk away
Tears down your cheeks may flow.
I'll love her as I do my own
And help her learn and grow.
So please put your mind at ease
And cry those tears no more.
For I promise she will be in good hands
When you leave her at my door.
Mrs. Cardenas and Mrs. Martinez
Blenman Elementary School
August 2, 2012
Yeah, that got me teared up a bit. Blast. Darn people for trying to make me feel better when I was already doing so well!
I'm telling you, Thursday was a hot one. After dropping Trevy off, the other kids and I went to Target. We needed a few more things for school and the infant car seat Timmy is still riding around in is the one we got with Trevy. Yep. Time for a new one!
It took us a while to get through the store, but we made it. It was heavenly being in air conditioning. Awful to walk back out into 100+ degree heat!
I will admit that that was pretty much all I accomplished on Thursday. My poor kids still want lunch, movies, someone to play with, etc... I'm trying. It's just so hot and I'm just so big... Almost fell asleep with Timmy but the twins kept fighting over the Play-Doh.
We made it back to pick Trevy up from her first day at 2:40. My biggest fear is forgetting her. It's just not in my system yet to have to be somewhere at a certain time for someone else on a regular basis. I set my alarm when I put Timmy down for naps in case I fall asleep with him.
The report from the first day of school was pretty short. Did you have fun? Yes. What did you do? We had recess. Did you see Lauren? Yes, but she's in a different class. Did you make any new friends? Silence for a while, then "Maximo". I vaguely remember seeing his name on the table next to her. He's been the one constant in the daily report thus far.
Trevy also handed me the folder with her name and that of her teacher on it. I got right on the paperwork as soon as we got home. The two sheets on the left basically reviewed the class rules and expectations, who to call for emergencies, who could pick up my child... Not too bad.
For whatever reason, I didn't get to the right side of the folder until about 10:00 that night and was up for another hour and a half filling out even more papers for the school. (Forgot I have a couple more waiting for me right now. I think I've had more homework so far than she's had!)
Day 2
Friday, James had the day off. Which turned out to be a huge blessing. I was up every other hour with Landon (see the next post) and Timmy and was exhausted. James was really looking forward to Trevy giving her teacher an apple and even ran over to Fry's early in the morning so she could take one. It was a beautiful piece of fruit. Meanwhile, I loaded Trevy's backpack with a box of crayons and glue sticks for her to donate to her class, along with all the box tops I've been saving for months. I added the apple and told her to give her teacher the folder and everything in her backpack.
James then drove her to school and got to meet her teacher. I went to pick her up at 2:40 and she handed me her backpack. She never zips it for some reason, so I could see immediately that everything that had gone in there that morning was still there. Including the apple. She still wanted to eat it herself and not give it to her teacher. Whatever. We'll work on that. But Mrs. Martinez (the student teacher) told me that she had kept saying at lunch that she wanted her apple, but she only had a peach in her lunch box. So I showed her the apple. Trevy wasn't crazy, just a little apple-hungry that day. We also handed her the glue sticks, crayons and box tops. So nice not to have those dangling on my white board anymore.
Trevy showed me her coloring of The Kissing Hand. They had to put events in order.
She and I sat outside her classroom for a few minutes for some one-on-one time. It was nice to get to talk to her about all the things she had done that day and not have to worry about rushing home. But it was hot again, so we didn't stay long, even in the shade.
On the way home, she told me about another girl in her class who has glasses. I learned her name over the weekend - Bianca.
There's another little girl who has waved goodbye to Trevy every day but Trevy still can't tell me her name. =(
Day 3
Today was rough. It's been a long weekend with Landon. (Again, I'll post this next rather than go into lengthy Wendy-style detail here.) Timmy got up with me at 6:15, which always makes it harder for me to get a shower and get going in the morning. I tried putting on Super Why to distract him from the bathroom door closing but I think I distracted the girls more than him. When I got out at 7:45, Trevy and Callie were both still in pajamas. Since the kids are reviewing colors this week and next, the kids can choose to wear the color of the day. (Today was green day, so at least we already had her clothes picked out.) She got dressed, but then chose to draw instead of putting her shoes on. Meanwhile, I was battling Landon, whom I had intentionally not woken up until 8:00. (Will not do this again.) He has been in such pain with his skin that I couldn't bear to wake him up any earlier. But this just made it that much harder because he took F-O-R-E-V-E-R to let me help him get dressed. We pulled out about 8:15. It's only about a 7-minute drive to the school, but, when there are lots of cars wanting to park and you're hauling three (okay, four) other kids with you, it makes for slow going. We heard the bell ring as we were unloading. I think we were okay. There were a few other parents just inside the door to Trevy's classroom. One with a crying child attached to his leg. Trevy put her things away, gave me a kiss and we headed out.
The cutest part of picking Trevy up today was that she again wanted to sit on the little bench in front of her classroom in the shade and show me her things for the day. The thing she really wanted to show me - her Little Debbie Swiss Cake Roll.
Yes, I am aware that they are not the healthiest thing on the planet, but I remember loving to get to take them in my lunch as a kid. We just got one and then you didn't get another until the next day. No finishing off the box when you got home. Trevy also ended up with just a sippy cup of water because the kids finished off their Capri Suns in one fell swoop over the weekend. Oh, well. The good news is that she drank the whole thing! She is my one who resists water as much as possible. Anyhow, I had stuck the Swiss Roll in her lunch box as a surprise and a special treat. Guess it was too much of a surprise because that (and the grapes) were the only thing left. She asked me what it was. I told her and asked her if she didn't like it. She told me she couldn't open it! =) So we opened it and each kid got half a roll as an after-school treat. (Okay, Timmy and Callie didn't finish theirs so I got a third myself. Yum!)
The paper I got to fill out tonight was in regards to how Trevy got her name. For anyone wondering, Trevy's name came from back in college. I was doing volunteer hours through UMC's physical therapy clinics in order to get into NAU's PT program. One of the patients who came in was named Trevlyn. I thought it was one of the prettiest names I had ever heard. Since this was back in 2000-2001 and Trevy was born in 2006 and I still loved the name, I was pretty sure that I would always love it and not regret naming my daughter something I had heard on a whim. I was glad I had shared the name with James way back when as well because it took about that long for it to grow on him. =)
(On a side note, James has now met the original Trevlyn as well. She came in to the first dental office he worked at after dental school and happened to have him as her dentist. What a small world!)


No comments:
Post a Comment