Sunday, February 26, 2012

Funny Kid Moments

I was asked to speak in church on the 12th.  And substitute for a Primary class.  Consequently, I felt very deserving of a nap after church but James beat me to it.  (Allow me to push for some sympathy points by throwing in that I started feeling not-so-good in the sinus region while he was out and looking forward to a nap myself when he woke up.  He squelched that hope when he came out of our bedroom with a suit coat and tie in hand.  Yep, gotta love home teaching.  Sigh.)

Anyhow, all the more reason I felt last Sunday was DEFINITELY my turn for a nap so I went into Timmy's room to lay down around 2pm.  I don't find napping a very easy thing for some reason.  I swear I saw the clock every 15 minutes.  At 3pm, James came in to tell me that he was, once again, going home teaching.  Even though the nap wasn't going well, I just wanted to lay there so I didn't immediately get up.  However, nothing gets a mom in motion like a knock at the door, the door being opened by your kids and your kids telling the unseen visitor, "Our mom's asleep.  She's taking a nap!"  Ahhhhh!!!

Fortunately, it was Carrie, wife of James's home teaching companion and preschool teacher extraordinaire.  Her girls had been to a couple of birthday parties that week and had acquired more candy than their mom wanted them to have so they came to share.  I told the kids they could each have to pieces - one now and a Fun Dip for Monday.  (If you were somehow deprived of this candy growing up, Fun Dips look like this.

They come with a candy stick that you dip into a a pouch of flavored sugar.)  The kids were thrilled!

Both Monday and Tuesday I forgot to let the kids have them until it was bedtime and I REALLY didn't want to deal with that kind of sugar high when I wanted my kids to go to sleep.  It wasn't until Wednesday that I remembered.   That same day, on the way home from preschool at the Porters' house, I asked the kids what they wanted to have to lunch: hot dogs, burritos, noodles...  And then I remembered the chicken enchiladas that had been such a hit the night before.  I don't really remember the kids ever all eating them as well as they did Tuesday night.  So, not getting a response with the first options, I asked Trevy, who sits right behind me in the car, if she would like some chicken enchiladas for lunch.  I asked her if her tummy wanted enchiladas. Sure!

So they had chicken enchiladas and chicken nuggets for lunch - guess the twins weren't in the mood for leftovers and the nuggets are easier for Timmy to handle.  And then I let them take their Fun Dips outside.  I decided to work on the dishes while they had their treat so I could watch them.  The next thing I knew, Landon was back inside to tell me that, "My tummy wants candy."  What?  "My tummy told me it wants candy."  I had to give him another piece for the good laugh.  So funny! 

I love kids and the funny things they say!