After my post last Thursday, I rushed around getting pizza made, clothes put away, and other various things done before Steve, my dad and two of my brothers-in-law showed up. Steve got here around 3:00 and kept me company by himself until Travis showed up. My dad and Ray blazed in with just enough time for us to get to see the kick-off.
The first half of the game between the University of Arizona (Steve, James and my alma mater) versus Arizona State University (where Travis's family devotions lie) was soporific, to say the least. It was well into the second quarter before anyone achieved a first down and the only points scored were two field goals from ASU. UA came out in the third quarter with two incredible touch downs to take the lead (14-6). ASU answered with another pair of field goal and a touch down of their own in the fourth quarter, complete with a two-point conversion to go up 20-14. In the final few minutes, UA made an impressive showing to score with seconds on the clock, tying things up at 20-20. It all came down to the extra point. Denied. Two overtimes later, both teams had another field goal and touch down posted. ASU also had an extra point to be up 30-29. Once again, UA just needed the kick to go in to at least go for a third overtime. Once again, denied. Heartwrenching to lose that way. But I was over it in no time. Why? Because of good sportmanship.
I have learned that, for me, it's not so much a fear of losing a game, but a fear of being teased and taunted for not winning. As we walked back to our car (parked a good mile away), my dad, Travis, James and I had a good discussion. Not once did Travis tease us that we lost. (Rightly so because none of us did. We never even touched the field!) He commented that he's the least competitive person you'll ever meet. I disagree. No way could someone who isn't competitive at all be a starting pitcher for a junior college! I just think he's one of the best-tempered, most sportsmanly individuals you'll ever meet. It's so much more fun when the winner is as gracious as the loser.
The following night, James and I got to go on our first date in a long time. My dad had stayed over again and let us run next door to play games with Melissa and her friend, Dave. (Thanks again, Dad!) We started with Rummikub. I made a slightly less than unimpressive showing the first round by never being able to even lay down. I was the first to lay down the second time and still ended up with the most tiles on my rack. (I think James won both times quite handily.) Hoping for a little more life to my game in Scrabble, we each drew our tiles. At first, I just took a handful out of the bag and started to just put my seven on their rack but then realized that wasn't all that fair, as I could see some of the letters. So I put them all back and drew out seven, sight unseen. Wow...I knew right away that this was not going to be my game either - all seven were vowels. Not too many words that lack at least one consonent. Even if I could up with one after being up late for the game the night before, even putting one on a triple word square couldn't do much for me, as vowels are only valued at one point each. And that's how the game continued for me. I would play two or three vowels and maybe one lucky consonent on each of my turns and then draw at least two more vowels. Really not fun to never stand a chance at even competing for lack of letters, but a golden opportunity to learn patience. I've had my nights where I couldn't lose and that was just one of my nights where I couldn't win. And that's okay. Games are games. Period. As Travis said, ASU and U of A will play again next year. Thanks, Travis, for being a great example and teaching me how to lose with grace!
1 comment:
Just checking in...glad things are continuing to go well and soooo glad you got to have a date!! My older brother just picked up two more little girls from China. That brings their kids to eight, six of whom have special needs. I don't know how you amazing mothers do it!
Post a Comment