I find myself quite awake these days. A lot. Not alert or really able to focus well, but able to stay awake for long periods of time. Last night was another long one. I had another living room guest. Trevlyn. Fortunately, she was able to be reasoned with and the loveseat was cleared off so I made a bed for her on the other couch.
One thing about breastfeeding (apologies to any of the male gender who may find this TMI), I find it very relaxing. At night, I'll be honest, I'm not sure how long Timmy nurses during most feeds. Somehow, I've been able to stay just conscious enough that I know when he's done and can burp him and put him back to bed.
It has also been swelteringly hot these past few nights. One very good reason to miss the NICU - air conditioning! We are ready for fall and the cooling of the weather. Hope we will all be sleeping better at night. Not ready for the cold weather that will bring colds and flus along with it. Please, please, please do not be offended if we don't offer to pass Timmy around. It has been reemphasized so many times to us the importance of keeping Timmy healthy that it just isn't worth the risk. He is already going to be at an increased risk just by having other little siblings. Fortunately, they usually don't touch and play with him unless they are supervised and I am ready for them to hold him (i.e. they have washed their hands and my own are still under him or very close for support).
Timmy had another weigh-in yesterday with Candace after a free day on Thursday. I have honestly been impressed with myself with giving Timmy his Ursodiol twice a day and vitamins (though they smell awful). But, try as we might, Timmy is just not the biggest fan of bottles in general. I try not to be the one to give them to him but he hasn't been wanting them from James either. Consequently, I have been trying to watch the clock to see how frequently Timmy eats to make sure he eats at least every three hours. Even still, he lost 0.5 ounces yesterday, down to 6 lbs. 8.5 oz. from Wednesday. Not sure what's going on there. Hoping he just needs to get older and build up his stamina, perfect his technique and decrease the actual time he spends nursing. Another blood draw to check his D-bili. I'm assuming I'll get the results next week. I didn't get a chance to call in Timmy's weight yesterday - 4pm appointment - so I need to do that anyway. Hoping and praying that the bilirubin has gone down. Timmy's face looks much less green but you can still see it in his eyes and torso.
He is such a mellow little baby. Such a sweet little guy. He probaby sleeps 20 hours a day at least right now, usually becoming the most alert right after everyone else has gone to bed. Which is nice for me to get some one-on-one time with him without anyone else needing anything from mom. Alas, it is also the time when I'm very tired and ready for bed too. Meeting in the middle - we sing, we play, we change diapers (this little guy loves to pee! Often takes a minimum of three diapers to get through a change), we suction, we get ready for bed - monitors, monitors, monitors - and then we nurse and he goes down sleepy.
Today was also a big day for the other three. I finally had a few hours of focusing ability yesterday during which I got to thinking about the kids rooms and basically got the vision of what I would like to do as far as sleeping arrangements go. Basically, just what my mom suggested 6 days ago. Just wasn't sure I wanted to go the bunk bed route and couldn't kick the thought of retaining the spare bed out of my mind. But now I'm excited. My sister, Amy, is going to trade us one of her bunk beds - twin on top, full on bottom - for our queen bed. Perfect! Not sure who will get the top, but my money is on either Landon or Trevy. I really don't think Callie will care. We are going to lose the spare bed for now. If we have one guest, we'll probably give them a spot on the bunk bed and bring one of the kids in with James.
One of my best friends, Sara, stopped by today and helped me move the crib support up on Callie's crib and held Timmy while I moved Landon's toddler bed into Trevy's room for tonight. (Thanks to James and Bridgette for their attempt at taking the other three to the UofA scrimmage game tonight. They got rained out.)
Putting the kids down was quite the adventure. We got a late start, due to the game and moving furniture around. It was 8:45 after they were all fed and dressed in jammies. Callie fought the idea of moving from the start. She just wanted her room. Initially I thought that she would share the spare twin bed with Trevy tonight and Landon could keep his toddler bed. James came up with the idea of pretending they were having a slumber party and told Trevy she should see if Callie wanted to come to her slumber party and go invite her.
Trevy said, "Okay" and walked over to Callie and bit her on the arm (no sinking teeth, she knows better, just opened her mouth and placed her teeth on Callie's skin) and then asked, "Do you want to have a slumber party with me?" James and I looked at each other with one eyebrow raised. Until Trevy clarified, "I asked if Callie wanted to have a slumber party with me and go 'n bite her."
So glad she didn't actually bite Callie. James and I got a good laugh. We'll definitely do better enunciating from now on.
It took a little while for the kids to go down. Trevy is used to having her door open and the hall light left on. The twins are used to the light off and the door closed. Not sure what James ended up doing, but the house is quiet right now. Hoping that they adjust to the nightly slumber party quickly!
No comments:
Post a Comment